Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

King Cobra

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

King Cobra

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 am

Been thinking about a new King Cobra. Handled one a few days ago. The tigger was smooth. Have not owned a Colt before. More of a Smith and Wesson fan. Yet, that Colt got me thinking. The cylinder release pull to the rear will take some getting use to. But, I may be willing to give it a try, due to the trigger pull. Any thoughts.
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: King Cobra

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:32 am

Didn't forty get one of those last year?
I have an original from the early 80's.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:05 am

Thanks Vaquero! I did read something about him sending an Anaconda back to Colt for a barrel replacement, which don’t seem promising. But, I guess most man-made things have issues.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:26 am

GFK wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 am
Been thinking about a new King Cobra. Handled one a few days ago. The tigger was smooth. Have not owned a Colt before. More of a Smith and Wesson fan. Yet, that Colt got me thinking. The cylinder release pull to the rear will take some getting use to. But, I may be willing to give it a try, due to the trigger pull. Any thoughts.
I own a King Cobra Carry DA. It's beautifully crafted; has a very smooth trigger; it's fun to shoot; it's accurate, and the recoil is mild, thanks to the grip.

KC800x600.jpg
Target - First Range Trip.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:26 am

Ok, lol. I was thinking it was a Snake gun. :lol:
I have friend in Texas that has one of those original Anacondas, he scoped his.
At one time I wanted one, as to have the pair.
Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.
Mine is the 6" version.
20230131_093030.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaquero on Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 am

GFK, in my experience, it won't be difficult to open the cylinder on the Colt. I'm with you, more of a fan of Smith and Wessons, but the Colt's I have shot seemed to be instinctive in opening the cylinder the right way. It's likely due to the shape of the release latch. It makes you want to pull it back.
CT_Shooter has had his for a while and likes it.
I haven't handled any of the new Colt revolvers as of yet. I just don't run across them.
If you get it, I hope it works out well for you.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 am

Thanks all! CT, that looks like a nice carry and nice shooting! Just a little shorter than the one that I handled. The owner put it in my hand. Like, this is something for you, well my wife was looking at others. We plan to go back this weekend. If it is still there, I may give it a try. Even though I am in pretty good shape. That trigger was smooth, and it is hard to pass it up. How many guns can a person have? Kind of like, how many vehicles can a person have? I can only use so many. Well, I guess that it is good to have back ups and spares. Plus, it is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Python.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 am

Have you checked out any Youtubes on them GFK? Ive read a couple of reports of people being disappointed in the newer ones especially for the asking price.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:59 am

Thanks BigAl! No, I have not seen any reports on YouTube yet. But, I will check. I have read a review about a hammer issue using DA (https://gunanalyst.com/new-colt-king-cobra-problems/). I was hoping that the issue would be addressed by now. If not, worst case scenario, it would be a trip back to Colt. Yet, that is part of the reason that I asked here. I was wondering if others had any real world issues with the Cobra as well.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:56 pm

GFK wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:59 am
Thanks BigAl! No, I have not seen any reports on YouTube yet. But, I will check. I have read a review about a hammer issue using DA (https://gunanalyst.com/new-colt-king-cobra-problems/). I was hoping that the issue would be addressed by now. If not, worst case scenario, it would be a trip back to Colt. Yet, that is part of the reason that I asked here. I was wondering if others had any real world issues with the Cobra as well.
I think Hickok 45 did one on the newer Colts may not be the King Cobra model and might be the Python
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55