Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Holster options

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Holster options

Post by markiver54 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:07 pm

I'm getting a Streamlight TLR-7 for my EDC Springfield XDS-9. I am looking for a OWB holster that will accommodate the light. I've seen a couple possibilities on line but looking for some help and hoping someone can help narrow my search.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Holster options

Post by dave77 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:23 am

I'm happy with the 2 OWB holsters I've got from MTR Custom Leather. Can get expensive with the available options (they seem to have molds for just about every gun and light/laser made). Depending on the holster you select you're looking at around $200. That's with double stitching and lined and closed end. Right now you're looking at a 10-12 week wait which I think you will find is fairly common for good custom holster makers. If you can't wait an extra $100 will get it made in 1 to 2 weeks, you're basically paying one of their holster makers overtime to complete your holster ahead of earlier placed orders.
Here are photos of the two I've got from them, a quick snap for my PX4 Compact Carry and a quick snap with thumb break for my friends PX4 Compact. Both have Crimson Trace lasers.

I would definitely get it lined, makes it a lot stiffer and the inside is smooth leather.

Conceals well with a long baggie t-shirt.

https://www.mtrcustomleather.com/produc ... tband-owb/
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:23 am

Thank you Dave for the valuable information. I will spend some more time looking at their website. After seeing them, I remember the pic of you wearing one. That's a good looking holster. $200.00 is more than I hoped to spend, but I guess you get what you pay for. Sure wish I could get it faster too, but I can understand that the only way to get one with a good fit is probably custom made. I just wish one of the large retailers had something that would work.
Thanks again for your input!! Much appreciated.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:48 am

Simply Rugged pancake holsters, super well made, with option$ for fancy extras if you like that stuff. The cutout for a light will add cost ($75 in this case).

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/ ... cat_id=669

I carry my great big CZP10F in a waist pack, it has a light and optic, it drops right in. I personally wouldn’t want to carry any pistol OWB with accessories on it…. Gun people laugh but in 20 years of use I would not choose any other method, except when out in the woods.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:54 am

John E Davies wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:48 am
Simply Rugged pancake holsters, super well made, with option$ for fancy extras if you like that stuff. The cutout for a light will add cost ($75 in this case).

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/ ... cat_id=669

I carry my great big CZP10F in a waist pack, it has a light and optic, it drops right in. I personally wouldn’t want to carry any pistol OWB with accessories on it…. Gun people laugh but in 20 years of use I would not choose any other method, except when out in the woods.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Thank you John. Its looking like there's no way to avoid high$$$. I just hate to spend almost half as much as I did for the gun.I guess it is what it is though.
I'm used to carrying OWB, so that's how I want to continue. The Streamlight is all I intend to add to it.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:00 am

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:07 pm
I'm getting a Streamlight TLR-7 for my EDC Springfield XDS-9. I am looking for a OWB holster that will accommodate the light. I've seen a couple possibilities on line but looking for some help and hoping someone can help narrow my search.
I get emails from Versacarry all the time. They're prices are great, and they don't look at all bad (although I don't own any). I don't need a new holster at the moment but thought I'd give them a try when I need a replacement. I don't know if they make one that accommodates a light, but they might.
Jake
https://versacarry.com/shop-all-products/
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:07 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:00 am
markiver54 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:07 pm
I get emails from Versacarry all the time. They're prices are great, and they don't look at all bad (although I don't own any). I don't need a new holster at the moment but thought I'd give them a try when I need a replacement. I don't know if they make one that accommodates a light, but they might.
Jake
https://versacarry.com/shop-all-products/
Thanks Jake! Looks like a strong possibility.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:10 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:23 am
Thank you Dave for the valuable information. I will spend some more time looking at their website. After seeing them, I remember the pic of you wearing one. That's a good looking holster. $200.00 is more than I hoped to spend, but I guess you get what you pay for. Sure wish I could get it faster too, but I can understand that the only way to get one with a good fit is probably custom made. I just wish one of the large retailers had something that would work.
Thanks again for your input!! Much appreciated.
There are just so many different guns, lights and lasers it's just not possible to have them ready made. Also if the maker offers a very large selection they've had to invest quite a bit on all the various molds. Also leather is going to be more expensive than kydex, more work involved to make.

The price I mentioned included lined, double stitched and closed end. Without those options (which might not be really needed as the XDS is a pretty light gun) the price would only be around $120 (including USPS shipping), only around another $55 if you want the 1-2 weeks shipping option.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:18 pm

Are you handy? …. https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/hols ... l?view=all

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x