Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Range Session

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Another Range Session

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 pm

Shot again this morning. Set up at the berm, and shot from seven yards first as Miss Tina was planning on trying her Kimber Micro 9 :D

seven yards (2).jpg

We set up the target stand and I put some weight on the base. I had forgotten the spring clamps so I stapled the cardboard to the edge. The range house where the clamps were is 90 yards away. :evil: It worked. Tina loaded the new mag, and the little gun was brought to bear.

tinas kimber micro 9.jpg

She shot about 30 rounds and at the end of her session she was keeping them in the 9 and 10 ring consistently. Nice little gun about the size of a baby glock, but a 1911 style single stack and single action. Good sights and thinner than the Glock. She likes it.

We moved back and set up a 15 yard range in the shade. I started with the Blackhawk 30 carbine. I had been told it was very manageable but had a loud boom. I had also told it was very accurate. I was shooting standing and offhand, we had not set up a table. I was impressed. Check out the 30 Carbine ammo, I included a 9mm round for reference.

blackhawk 30 carbine.jpg
30 carbine ammo.jpg

After six shots, I was impressed with the accuracy offhand at 15 yards since I haven't shot for two years and THIS was my first time shooting the gun. I will certainly shoot this thing off a rest at 25 and see how it does. I expect a nice group.

first six 30 carbine.jpg

Next up was the Blackhawk 357 Maximum. A real cannon. I have included a 9mm round with the 357 maximum ammo in this pic as well for reference. HUGE ammo for a handgun. I was looking forward to shooting the dang thing. I like bigga boom. (Movie Reference)

357 maximum.jpg

Tina shot video and Pics for the friend who sold it. She got a GREAT shot. I have it as wallpaper now.

357 maximum boom comp.jpg

I love this thing. I want to shoot it off the bench now and see how it will group. I put a couple in the center, but ... there wasn't really a group. I was enjoying the boom. Lastly, we shot the Uberti Birdshead 357. I just shot 38 LSWC. It was a blast, Even Tina shot that. Tina wouldn't shoot the 357 max or the 30 carbine. :twisted: No pics of the Uberti, we were tired and the temps were climbing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Another Range Session

Post by Rifletom » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Neat picture Marine. That's quite the daytime fireball there. Glad to see you two getting out and enjoying the range.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:19 pm

Gotta love that fireball.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Yup, that's my wallpaper for a while.
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 pm

I know you had to deal with a few health issues that slowed you down, so it's good to see you using that range. I've never fire a 357 Maximum, but if that fireball is any indication of the recoil, I'll pass. Great picture though!

Paul
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:12 pm

The muzzle blast was impressive. To tell the truth, the recoil on my smith 340 scandium frame ultra lite 357 five shot snubby revolver is a lot worse than that blackhawk. The snubby is really painfull with 357 magnums. The 357 maximums just sting a bit. The $2 per shot might hurt when I order more ammo. :o
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:29 pm

You gotta love the Max. Wish I had my old pics of how the Max could group at 100 yards. Remember, it was originally designed for silhouette to knock down those rams at 200 yards over the course of a 40 shot match and be flatter shooting than the 44 mag and easier on the shooter over the course of those 40 shots. Really shines in a single shot rifle. Superb handgun deer cartridge. Ah, what great memories for this old gal.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:41 pm

Very impressive that 357 Max is! Wonder how a Henry chambered for it would work? Is the Max a straight wall case or slightly tapered like 45-70?
Or maybe a single shot rifle setup? Looked like a fine day at the range BM !
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:49 pm

I didn't check it with a micrometer, but it looked straight walled. I would lean that way since you can shoot 357 mags in the gun. Tomorrow my plan is to shoot long guns. The Ruger American Predator 556 for sure, and if it doesn't get too hot, the M4, and maybe check the scope on the AR10. But for sure, the Predator. All of those guns need the scopes/optics verified. So, 50 yards tomorrow, from the bench, sorta.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:24 am

It's just an extra long 357 case, not tapered, so you can shoot 357 mags in a Max or even 38s. Not sure if the Max length would be compatible in a Henry lever gun like the Big Boy, but Mike Bellm at https://357maximum.net does ream out Henry 357 mag single shots to 357 Max and he does it right. He's converted a couple 357 Mag Contender barrels to Max for me.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x