Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting on the NEW RANGE

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Shooting on the NEW RANGE

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:17 pm

I headed down to the new range today, and at the last second, Miss T decided to join in, as she wants to swap to the Glock 23c. I had planned to shoot my Glock 23, as it's the third gun in my EDC rotation, so I swapped the 23 for the 23c. Neither of us has shot anything other than a round here or there at vermin in about three years due to the move and waiting for the range to be finished, so... it was time.

We loaded the back of the Polaris and drove downrange to set up... in the shade. Well over 90, close to 100. :o
While I laid out the guns and got the ammo out of the gear bag, Miss T set up the target frame. We set up the target at the 25 yard line and were shooting from the 40, so 15 yards.

set up.jpg

I took the first shots on the range... inaugural shots so to speak. I fired five shots with the Glock 23c. Not bad considering I forgot my prescription shooting glasses and was shooting with just protective clear lenses from the safety box containing ears and regular shooting glasses.

first shots glock 23c.jpg

I put Miss T on the line, observed her handle the Glock and dry fire, then load and charge the Glock. Yes, this was a test before I would let her swap to the Semi-auto after carrying the Airweight Smith 642 38 Snubby for the last three or four years. She shot about 25 rounds and kept them all centered in the lower half of the 9 and 10 ring. The Glock was shooting a bit low as the sights are set for 25 yards dead on. I tried the sights to be sure and put a quarter sized five shot group 2" below my point of aim. I was good with it. I told her I'd like her to continue to practice with me for the next month, but she could swap. She said, "Thank You." Sheldon like, I identified sarcasm, but ignored it. She knew I wasn't above locking the 23c back in the safe. ;)

Next I shot the Sig P220 45. It's been two or three years, but the old girl and I have known each other 25 years. She didn't let me down. The target shows that even without glasses, we still get along.

SIG P220.jpg

However, the ammo did let me down, it was the old practice load, and I had two jams. It was always my habit to check 50 rounds with the Dillon Go/No Go gauge, I forgot. I cleared the jams and put the gun in the bag. It was 100 degrees, we had been on the range for 45 minutes and I still had the 340 to shoot.

I loaded the .357 snubby with five rounds of 38 +P+ and let her rip. OW! Tina was standing behind me and had ears on, and still said, "Wow, that's loud." 1-1/2 " barrel. Yup, a bit. With the 38 wadcutters and Standard 38 LSWCHP the 340 is okay. The +P+ and the full house 357 loads are a bit painful. But... as you can see, she gets em there.

add SW 340 plus p plus.jpg

We had been on the range in the heat for more than an hour. Most of that time working with the boss. I will go back out with the SIG and the 340, as well as the Single Actions, perhaps even tomorrow. I came back in and cleaned them all. Tina swapped over her EDC. I'm sticking with the 340 til cooler weather. Nice to shoot again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Shooting on the NEW RANGE

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:19 pm

Oh, I put my prescription shooting glasses IN the range bag. I'll hopefully shoot better next time. (sigh)
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:12 pm

Congrats to you both and thank-your for sharing such a big day. Love your range and the shooting. All that hard work and now it's time to enjoy it. Our best to you both.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:15 pm

Wow that is great shooting just getting in the groove again and in the heat !! Congrats on the first range day!
Is that long dirt berm to the left in background part of the range?
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:50 pm

Nice groupings!
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:09 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:15 pm
Wow that is great shooting just getting in the groove again and in the heat !! Congrats on the first range day!
Is that long dirt berm to the left in background part of the range?
The berm is in front of the berm wall behind the target. The "apparent berm" to the left is a deep creek bank. I will not be above putting steel targets down in the creek bed I had custom made. 8" plates that slide onto pairs of rebar rods. Falling plates that don't fall. :lol: I have six, so I can space them up the creek, and you'd walk up shooting down INTO THE CREEK BED ringing the plates. :twisted:
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:48 am

Congratulations on opening day!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:55 am

Now that I think about it, there should have been balloons.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:29 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:48 am
Congratulations on opening day!
Good one Gene!

It’s been fun (but painful for you and for that I’m sorry) watching your range develop. I bet it feels good to have all that hard work and recovery finally paying off! Congratulations and I really enjoyed the interaction between you and Tina with the transition to the Glock. :D
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 am

Finally the day came. Enjoy your range Marine, you two deserve it. Wsll done!
0 x