Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Liberty model single actions

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Ruger Liberty model single actions

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:28 pm

As I've grown older, I've decided to cut back on not only my shooting, but also the gun collecting. Just don't have time anymore to shoot them all and, for sure, we don't have the time or money to collect them all, so I might as well concentrate on my favorite type of gun in my remaining years and that is definitely my single action revolvers.

Sixty some years of shooting and I've come full circle, right back where I started with my very first handgun, a single action revolver. That one was an Old Model Ruger Single Six 22 LR bought when I was 18 years of age and legally old enough to carry a handgun. Seven or so years, later, I bought my first centerfire handgun to go with it, that one being another single action, also a Ruger, in the Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. That 44 mag knuckle buster was actually my first deer "rifle".

So we've been on the lookout for some nice clean Ruger single actions from the 60s or 70s. Hit a home run this last week when we walked into our LGS and found some collectible, new in the box Ruger New Model single actions from the 1970s. And I do mean new, since I can detect no sign these have ever been fired. They came from a collection and have been stored for all these years.

This is a prime vintage for the New Models, which first appeared in 1973.

Threw in some ammo only for pic purposes to show the chambering.

Better yet, these are called Liberty model Rugers due to Ruger stamping all their 1976 guns with the label "made in the 200th year of American Liberty" (and this was still prior to the awful read the instruction manual stamping that appeared only a couple years later). These Liberty single actions are now sought after vintages for Ruger fans.

So, will I shoot these beauties? Probably not, since I have other Ruger single actions to shoot. Oh, I'm not worried about losing some collectibility value by shooting them, since I won't be parting with them. Nope, these are mostly to keep as is for sentimental vale. This old cowgirl still dreams about those early days afield with these same models. Now I have these reminders just sitting here for me to admire and start me on a trip down memory lane. Can't put a price on that.
5 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ruger Liberty model single actions

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:49 pm

Nice! That rimfire is my kind of six shooter.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:12 pm

An excellent way to commemorate your early days. Happy you found these beautiful reminders.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:31 pm

Excellent find NCG, I have one of those single sixes from that year.
It's the year my daughter was born also.

20220719_183011.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaquero on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:29 pm

Great find. Have a single six from around that era and I am going to keep it around for the pleasure it brings me. Congratulations.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:51 pm

Thanks, guys. That was a great vintage for Single Sixes, to be sure.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:30 pm

There you go adding beautiful guns to a collection of beautiful guns. Truly no ugly guns in your safe. If you do decide to test fire them I would love to read your range report. You have taught me more about the art of shooting than anyone else I know. Your knowledge and experience keeps me dropping in to see what is our Lady Of The Frozen North doing today.
3 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:56 am

As nice as those revolvers are I have to say the boxes are equal. I guess I’m a container nerd but the boxes make the package perfect. Love the old school style, sure beats the ugly plastic containers handguns come in these days. Yeah I know, plastic is more functional but those cardboard beauties have class. :D

Vaquero, that corncob pipe is the best support ever! :D
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:23 am

Thanks, Seabee. Revolver shooters like us seem to be a dying breed. We now know the vintage of an action movie, now, when we see the good guys/bad guys using revolvers. :)

And we were lucky on the last revolvers. Every gun shop keeps telling us that the big name gun makers have cut back on revolver production and the supply of new revolvers is a problem.

Watchdog, you are so right on these awful plastic gun boxes. They're ugly and you can't collect them, because no one wants them. And a plastic box with a single action revolver just seems like such a contradiction.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Congratulations on your latest additions NCG. I like them both. I was unaware Ruger stamped that on the 1976 guns. Thank you for the continuing education.
I'm going to look at my single six rimfire now and see if it's anywhere near what I remember. Thanks for the inspiration.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member