Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger EC9s

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Ruger EC9s

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:30 pm

I am more of a revolver man. But, I was in a LGS the other day, and a EC9s
(https://ruger.com/products/ec9s/specSheets/3283.html) caught my eye. It was FDE (flat dark earth) in color. Since I have not much leaned toward semi-autos, I kept walking. Yesterday, I was thinking about how there is so much 9mm ammo available, and I do not have one. The price of the EC9s was not bad, for my first trial run, and the trigger was smooth. So, I decided to give it a try.

Has anyone tried one? If so, thoughts? I am accustomed to the M9 9mm and the M1911 45 ACP, while active duty. What caught my by surpise, I could not release the slide by simply pushing the release button. I had to pull the slide back first. It has been awhile, since I handled one (20 years). Yet, I thought that was a standard function of semi-autos. Or, is that model specific? Or, am I not recalling correctly?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Ruger EC9s

Post by dave77 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:32 pm

Both my Beretta's, a M9A3 and a PX4 Compact Carry release the slide by just using the release lever.

I have never shot that Ruger but it looks similar in size to the Springfield XDs I had. It was nice to carry but I could never get accurate with it like I am with my Beretta's. My PX4 is OK for carry with a good holster and gun belt, also has the advantage of 15+1 rather than 7+1 and is hammer-fired instead of striker-fired. I was never comfortable carrying a striker-fired gun with a round in the chamber but I'm fine with it in my DA/SA.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:13 pm

Okay. Thanks for the reply. I have watch a few reviews, and others have mentioned the same thing, about the slide release. Ruger makes a similar statement in the manual (pull slide back to release). Maybe, it will loosen some. But, it was not a deal breaker. If I have to load while under fire, pushing a button or pulling the slide back will not be a point of concern. But, it could make the difference between requiring two hands or one hand to load the chamber. If so, I may have to hold the firearm with my feet while pulling back the slide?

As for accuracy, I count anything at center mass within 7 yards as good. Basically, point and pull the trigger. When the rubber meets the road, there may not be much time for aiming. Of course, one must beware of innocence bystanders. The most that we can do is the best that we can. So, practice for the worst and hope for the best.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:54 pm

If you want to carry it with one in the chamber best way is to load the mag, put it in the gun, pull and release the slide to put one in the chamber and then remove the mag to replace the round you put in the chamber.

I have heard releasing the slide with a round in the chamber can possibly damage the extractor.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:14 pm

I found my answer. After some more research, the button is a slide stop not slide release. It is used to hold the slide open, when magizine is empty or for chamber inspection. Well, it does do that, no matter how hard I push it. It holds the slide open, until I pull the slide back. So, it works as designed.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:38 pm

My friend bought one some years back and I got to try it. I was a bit skeptical, given the price, but I was actually very impressed with the way it shot. Very comfortable, easy to shoot and decently accurate for short range work. Very good value.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:44 pm

Thanks NCG!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:42 pm

I suppose all your revolvers now are weeping in the drawer. Their feelings are hurt. I feel for them they want some attention to
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, I don't think that will ever be the case. Not having a revolver is like not liking apple. It is un-American. Plus, revolvers are no fuss. Just point and shoot: no safety, no chambering a round, no fail to load. Besides, this EC9s is just for fun. There is plenty of 9mm ammo out there. I think that I should do my part and shoot some.
Last edited by GFK on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:05 pm

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. in 357. It has a 9mm cylinder with it. I do own some Autos but I like the revolters better. Im old and cranky and tired of loading those magazines. Even if I do have one of those magazine loadin thingys
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55