Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Needed a holster for the thing.....

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Needed a holster for the thing.....

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:20 pm

So now you have your 1911 fitted with a suppressor and it shoots well BUT how would you carry it...make it useful and store the combo when not in use?
Well looked at what I had hanging around and my eyes went right to my scabboard I use for my Ranch Hand since the length of the 1911/silencer combo is about same length.
Why not? So I get it setup to carry a mag pouch and rig it for right side cross draw at waist level with my heavy holster belt.

Works great with an easy smooth draw given the length and stays safely put in the well cushioned scabboard/holster!
Might work well for trail carry or around the home if needed. Also can have it laying nearby at night.

Using what I have hanging around! Have a couple Wilson Combat 10 round mags coming too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Needed a holster for the thing.....

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:18 pm

I knew you had gotten it, but didn't realize that suppressor is bigger than the gun! Can you even hear it go bang? :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:19 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:18 pm
I knew you had gotten it, but didn't realize that suppressor is bigger than the gun! Can you even hear it go bang? :lol:
Yeah check my video review inside the small cabin. You can take off the front section and screw end cap back on to shorten it up.
45 being a large bullet takes a bit more silencer case volume to quiet it down.

It is no way like what the movies show.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:19 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:18 pm
Yeah check my video review inside the small cabin. You can take off the front section and screw end cap back on to shorten it up.
45 being a large bullet takes a bit more silencer case volume to quiet it down.

It is no way like what the movies show.
For those that don't have cans, here is a bit of a run down

A lot of the discrepancy we hear when shooting a pistol can for the first time is due to our perceptions from youtube vids. Most modern mic's on phones, or camera's cut out or dampen the sound at 120 decibels. So, we get clipped sound profiles from that.

The second factor in the vids is that the camera/mic is often 10 ft from the gun extraction port. The sound level drops considerably after 10ft. At about 25 yds it's a consistent 125db for supersonic rounds.

Supersonic rounds will be around 160db when fired, (give or take <starting with less for pistol ending at about the 165 for rifle>). A Can will moderate that down about 20-25 DB at the shooter's ear, and about 30 DB at the muzzle (some cans are pass through, and thus muzzle sound is higher)

That brings the sound down to the 135 to 140 DB range.

140 is considered hearing safe, It isn't. if you spend an afternoon shooting super sonic 556, with a can, your ears will ring at the end of the day. Cans allow you to shoot with either minimal ear protection for longer, or with good ear protection for as long as you want.

For guys like me who have their own property. It's a noise thing. 100 yards from my house, my supersonic rifle rounds are no louder than a staple gun. Yes, it still sounds like a rapid-fire staple gun, but it is nowhere near as intrusive on my neighbors as a normal 556.

The only real cans that are silly quiet are 22lr sub sonics lever, pump or bolt actions. Semi auto rifles, and pistols still have the action going and slapping together. There is a little bit of sound that escapes from the ejection port, (called port pop) and a clack as the action chambers a new round.

*edit*

Do you know where I can get a holster for my mk23? This is a special super-secret squirrel gopher assassin model.
or my custom beretta 92c with 91/30 bayonet?
Last edited by DsGrouse on Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:20 pm

Good info Grouse, thanks. Your post sure puts it in the right perspective.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:30 pm

I do almost all my shooting with cans now.
0 x

dfc5343
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dfc5343 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:56 pm

Horizontal carry shoulder rig.
0 x