Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SD Pistol

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

SD Pistol

Post by Cofisher » Tue May 31, 2022 6:22 pm

I finally decided to join the ranks of you who have concealed firearms. After a long, well researched time, I chose mine. I went with the new S&W CSX. It is a hammer fired single action 9mm. Very small. I stayed away from the single stack low round ones. This little double stack carries 12.
I shot it yesterday. It feels good and I was able to hit a torso sized target at 15' obviously, I need practice. But, first impression was, yeah that works.
I'll be practicing, and looking for a decent carry holster. No hurry. Doing it right.
3 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: SD Pistol

Post by GunnyGene » Tue May 31, 2022 8:03 pm

Welcome :) . That csx is about the size of my Sig P365, same load (12+1). They can be difficult to be accurate with at more than a very few yds. Holster wise I prefer a quality leather for IWB or OWB and don't really care for IWB. Most of the micro compacts will easily conceal under a untucked shirt for OWB, which is what I do with a regular leather pancake holster, and I don't worry about any slight printing. Never had a problem with that.

ETA: I'll explain my reasoning for not liking IWB. Firstly, I carry around about 30lbs of beer belly, and not much hip. Which means appendix carry is out of the question. Second, not much hip means I have to cinch up my belt pretty tight with the pistol holstered. That means when I draw the gun the mouth of the IWB generally collapses (making reholstering difficult), and my pants tend to fall down around my knees due to the absence of the tension the holstered gun provided, which makes things awkward and embarrassing. I can live with embarrassing, but trying to run and shoot with your pants down is less than advisable.

All that said, everyone is going to have their preferences, which is fine. Hope you figure out what works for you. :)
Last edited by GunnyGene on Tue May 31, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue May 31, 2022 8:05 pm

I have had good luck with an Uncle Mike's I.W.B. to carry my Glock 36. It is a tough fabric not leather and won't break the bank for cost. I like it better than leather in the warm and sweaty Florida climate.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:34 pm

Nice job Fish. Now figuring out where you want to carry it can be fun. I know for me IWB is not comfortable at all. Whether its midback or on the side. I dont wear a belt so there isnt a belt carry either. I use front pocket carry and it works for me. But then you get to find the right pants that will allow that. It can be fun.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:58 am

I carry a PX4 compact pretty regularly (better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it). I have a kydex IWB and a leather OWB. The IWB is quicker and easier to put on, the leather holster is more comfortable to wear. They both print about the same. Like Gunny I have a belly (more of a I eat too much belly) and not much hips so I have to cinch my belt up pretty tight.

I carried a Springfield XDS for awhile which is probably closer in size to your S&W and it was very comfortable to carry IWB with a small Kydex holster, unfortunately I couldn't shoot it at all accurately. I think it was due to it being a single stack with it's narrow grip. I'm fairly accurate with my PX4c, at 7 yards I can make mostly make one big hole with most of my shots. I'd like to see how I could do with the CSX.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ber ... wesson-csx

7 yds, 15 fairly rapid shots, the one near the top of the target was the first double action shot, I need more DA practice. With the XDS I was lucky to hit the paper.

The kydex holster is stiff enough that it doesn't collapse with the gun removed.
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:13 am

I generally carry a PX4 with a leather OWB or a Bond arm 45/410 with a cross draw leather holster. The cross draw is more comfortable while driving. I recently got a leather OWB EDC holster from Diamond D that I find comfortable and have been using with a Colt New Agent 45.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:21 am

Ernie wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:13 am
I generally carry a PX4 with a leather OWB or a Bond arm 45/410 with a cross draw leather holster. The cross draw is more comfortable while driving. I recently got a leather OWB EDC holster from Diamond D that I find comfortable and have been using with a Colt New Agent 45.
Diamond D. :)

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:05 am

Yeah they do good work. I bought both sizes of the EDC holster, I like the simplicity and it works well for everything I put in it. I will be going back to their website again.
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:21 pm

Good choice and you have to believe in the pistol you carry. I'm a Glock sort of guy so my EDC is a Glock 43. Yeah I know it's a single stack but I'm confident that 7 rounds of 9mm person defense will do the job. Besides I always have and extra mag nearby. As far as holsters go I use a leather IWB on my right hip. It's not the most comfortable, but it works for me.

Paul
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:47 pm

Thanks Paul. I'm not experienced in any of the carry types. My favorite so far is the owb cross draw. Yes, I recognize a slower draw. But, maybe not a bad thing?
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.