Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stag grips on new 1911

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Stag grips on new 1911

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Not a bad target for first time out, the gun has to settle in, for one thing. You have to get used to the trigger, and the gun's nuances. I'd be good with it for a start. I've always heard it takes a couple hundred rounds to knock the rough edges off...

... Otherwise, you happy?

Consistent ejection?
Recoil manageable with the weight?
Sights pick up quickly?

I like the look of it.
:D

Don't tell Tina.
8-)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:28 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:07 pm
Not a bad target for first time out, the gun has to settle in, for one thing. You have to get used to the trigger, and the gun's nuances. I'd be good with it for a start. I've always heard it takes a couple hundred rounds to knock the rough edges off...

Consistent ejection?
Sights pick up quickly?

I like the look of it.

Don't tell Tina.
8-)
Overall pleased with it. No ejection problems, recoil is a bit more than my 9mm, but perfectly manageable. But for people not accustomed to that little bite between thumb and forefinger from the grip safety fang, it would likely be unacceptable. Sights would be ok for somebody who had better eyes than me. I need new lenses.

I think many folks who get a 1911 original design have unrealistic expectations about them. JMB designed this gun with the singular goal of creating a combat weapon. Not competition, general plinking, BBQ's, or hunting. That means it's a piece that is designed to take a licking in the mud and the blood, and keep on ticking when it counts.

Who's Tina?
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:45 pm

Looks good!
Jake
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:23 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:28 pm
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Consistent ejection?
Sights pick up quickly?

I like the look of it.

Don't tell Tina.
8-)
Overall pleased with it. No ejection problems, recoil is a bit more than my 9mm, but perfectly manageable. But for people not accustomed to that little bite between thumb and forefinger from the grip safety fang, it would likely be unacceptable. Sights would be ok for somebody who had better eyes than me. I need new lenses.

I think many folks who get a 1911 original design have unrealistic expectations about them. JMB designed this gun with the singular goal of creating a combat weapon. Not competition, general plinking, BBQ's, or hunting. That means it's a piece that is designed to take a licking in the mud and the blood, and keep on ticking when it counts.

Who's Tina?
She's well known to many here. My best friend of thirty years, financial advisor on how to spend my retirement income. Miss T, aka: The Wife. :twisted:
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:31 pm

Very nice pick up there Gunny and those stag grips are a touch of class. Against that dark frame they really set the pistol off. I love the classic look of the GI 1911, but 5 rounds and I'd be dripping blood from the hammer bite. I just grip way to high and so all my 1911's have a beaver tail. Not traditional, but it keeps me from getting chewed up.

Paul
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun May 01, 2022 12:32 am

The 1911 does take some time to master. I still have trouble understanding why almost all of them made today have the flat mainspring housing. I have two and the one with the arched housing is a lot more natural for me to shoot than the one with the flat one. The army made the arched housing, shorter trigger and scalloped sides next to the trigger because of the experiences during the "great war". The fact that Colt made their first National Match pistols as A-1's should have been a clue for the future.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 01, 2022 5:16 am

Travlin wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:32 am
The 1911 does take some time to master. I still have trouble understanding why almost all of them made today have the flat mainspring housing. I have two and the one with the arched housing is a lot more natural for me to shoot than the one with the flat one. The army made the arched housing, shorter trigger and scalloped sides next to the trigger because of the experiences during the "great war". The fact that Colt made their first National Match pistols as A-1's should have been a clue for the future.
Production costs are higher with the A1 style, which cuts into the per unit profit margin unless they raise MSRP to compensate, and consumers are generally very price conscious. Which results in a smaller market for the A1. All about the money. You don't want to compete against yourself, especially when you are competing with Glock, etc.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun May 01, 2022 8:47 am

Good point. That is the first time that it has been explained to me in that way , thank you. I guess that I had better hold on to my 1937 National Match with it's honed action and arched housing.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 01, 2022 9:16 am

I have a couple nice 1911s, and they aren't going anywhere. I wish I was comfortable selling guns, I would let go of the extra glocks, keeping only the ones we actually shoot. (I had extras for teaching...). Then I could add a few other cool things to the collection.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 01, 2022 10:24 am

Travlin wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:47 am
Good point. That is the first time that it has been explained to me in that way , thank you. I guess that I had better hold on to my 1937 National Match with it's honed action and arched housing.
Yeah, keeping that NM would be a good idea. ;) :D
1 x