Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My little recoil spring eater......

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

My little recoil spring eater......

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:58 pm

Now I have about 300 rounds of 45 ACP fired thru my new Rock Island BBR 3.10 and the slide will not go into full battery without a hand bump when firing the first couple rounds. After that it will clear up for a while and happens whether first cleaned and lubed or not.
Took it apart to compare the recoil spring with the extra new spring they ship in the case and wow it is just about a 1/2 inch shorter from use!

Now they say to replace the spring after about 500+ rounds if having issues which is what other makers of 4 inch and shorter 1911's recommend.
My Springfield XDE .45 with 3.3 inch barrel and hammer fired always runs like a well tuned machine first time everytime. I compared it's double spring assembly to the BB and the outside spring is just a tiny bit larger and will not fit into the BBR spring cup. Sure would like a spring setup like that in the BBR ! A new spring after 300-400 rounds at almost 6 bucks a pop...do I need to order a box of them????
Current spring on the left and new spring next to it! Called RI and they said normal!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: My little recoil spring eater......

Post by Headhog » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 pm

You have now seen the Achilles heal of short 1911's. The shorter the barrel the harder they are on recoil springs. Spend some time perusing the 1911 forum and you will soon find out that you just may need to order several at a time. The other side of this coin is Rock Island (Armscore) may not use the highest quality springs. It's a keep costs down thing.

I'd order a few from Wolff Springs (gunsprings.com). They've been selling quality springs for a long time. I buy all my 1911 replacement magazine, recoil and main springs from them. In a full size 1911 they last for years.

Paul
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:37 pm

Headhog wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 pm
You have now seen the Achilles heal of short 1911's. The shorter the barrel the harder they are on recoil springs. Spend some time perusing the 1911 forum and you will soon find out that you just may need to order several at a time. The other side of this coin is Rock Island (Armscore) may not use the highest quality springs. It's a keep costs down thing.

I'd order a few from Wolff Springs (gunsprings.com). They've been selling quality springs for a long time. I buy all my 1911 replacement magazine, recoil and main springs from them. In a full size 1911 they last for years.

Paul
Yep I have used a few Wolff springs and the 13 round Para mag for the BBR has one. Will check and see if they have one for the gun.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:42 am

Try Wilson's and Brownells as well.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:16 pm

Put the new recoil spring in the Little Fat Boy 1911 last night and took it to the range to try it out. Loaded both magazines with factory and my target loads and it ran fine from the first shot. Looks like you just have to replace the spring when you start to have issues. Love shooting this thing and easy to hit the targets with it. Just placed an order for 10 new recoil springs which should last me a while I hope!
1 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:57 pm

I would see if Wolff has recoil springs for it or get a good 1911 spring and cut it down
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:57 pm

ol'pole wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:57 pm
I would see if Wolff has recoil springs for it or get a good 1911 spring and cut it down
Talked to them about it and they said they don't make one for it. Kind of strange.
0 x