Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New big bore shooter

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: New big bore shooter

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:15 pm

That's better than I did with my first try with a 44 mag Super Blackhawk. Really had my doubts back then if I would ever be able to shoot that monster. Of course, that was back in the day when it was unheard of for a gal to even try to shoot a 44 mag handgun.

Not everyone prefers the Bisley on the hard kickers. Over years I tried more of the plow grip grip and Bisley Ruger SA 44 mags, but I actually preferred the old plow grip in the end. Took a while to develop a hold that worked for me with the plow grip, but I actually found it more comfortable than the Bisley when I did.
1 x

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Travlin wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:04 pm
How much of a change in felt recoil was there after you put the Bisely grip frame on the Ruger? Do you have large hands? I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 conv. and a Colt S.A.A. .45 and had to put oversized grips on both. I don't know what Colt was thinking when they didn't put the army grip on the S.A.A. Army instead of the bigger grip from the 1860 Army .
Sorry about not responding to this. With the Ruger Super Blackhawk, that gun has its own grip. It’s an extended version of Ruger’s interpretation of the SAA grip. The factory grips are squared off up where the grip meets the frame. On a shorter barrel 44, this isn’t a huge deal as the muzzle rise will absorb some of the recoil. With a long bull barrel like is on my Super Blackhawk Buntline, it’s very different. You don’t get nearly the energy dispersed raising the muzzle, it comes more directly back into your wrist. In addition, those squared off contours on the grip kind of dig into the side of the ring finger. Lastly, the dragoon grip frame is notorious for cracking knuckles off the trigger guard.

With the Bisley grip frame, the angle of the wrist is different. A better angle to help support the weight of the gun lower on the grip frame so it’s not resting against that squared off edge against the side of the finger. It also help straighten the wrist a little so the recoil coming directly into to wrist isn’t at a bad angle. The super Blackhawk grip frame puts the wrist at a more thumb forward position. The Bisley let’s the heel of the hand come forward a little bit. It also helps get the muzzle to rise a bit easier because of how low on the grip the resistance is. After I changed out the grip frame on that Super Blackhawk Bisley, my brother said it was like night and day. I agree. Also changed out the actual grips with a set that had a more curved radius where it rests against the middle finger.

An actual Colt SAA replica like a Uberti 1873 has a real Colt spec grip frame / grip, the whole feel of that frame is different. It’s not near as bulky as the Rugers grips. I have pictures of the comparisons I took while doing the whole conversion process, if you wish, I’d have to dig them up.
1 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:27 pm

The squared off sides of the grips themselves
F79FB824-64F6-4CD0-BAE6-C59CC8A25298.jpeg
The hand position on the Super Blackhawk grip
10A06026-97D5-4841-A012-601FA438F167.jpeg
The hand position on the Bisley frame
E1CC9BAA-525A-4BC2-B5B6-9E3370A12221.jpeg
Difference between the Bisley frame (right) and the Super Blackhawk frame (left)
3C0108C1-4826-4AC3-825B-C0977C8197E5.jpeg
Difference between the standard Ruger SAA plow grip and the Super Blackhawk grip
310A1396-01F8-4E80-825A-2FA7242F8A43.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:56 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience in the single action grips. I think that if I could find and afford some of the oversized rubber finger groove grips for my Blackhawk .45 conv. I would be able to shoot it a lot better. I put a Super Blackhawk dropped spur hammer on it when it was new and before I ever shot it. That and an action job with a white outline rear and red insert front site.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:42 pm

Bear Paw grips Travelin check them out
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:46 am

Travlin wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:56 pm
Thank you for sharing your experience in the single action grips. I think that if I could find and afford some of the oversized rubber finger groove grips for my Blackhawk .45 conv. I would be able to shoot it a lot better. I put a Super Blackhawk dropped spur hammer on it when it was new and before I ever shot it. That and an action job with a white outline rear and red insert front site.
You got a picture you could share of the gun in question?
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:45 am

Re Bear Paw Grips, Very pretty but way above my pay grade and I am interested in a Houge type oversized with finger grooves. I have worked with nice lumber my whole life and my Rolling Block has a nice tiger stripe maple stock but for a working handgun function and fit for my big mitts is number one.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:50 am

Sorry backyard but I have a flip phone and use an I-Mac so as of the present posting photos is not in my skill set. I would like to as my 1937 National Match .45 and the affor-mentioned Rolling Block may be of interest to some of you.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:05 am

Travlin wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:50 am
Sorry backyard but I have a flip phone and use an I-Mac so as of the present posting photos is not in my skill set. I would like to as my 1937 National Match .45 and the affor-mentioned Rolling Block may be of interest to some of you.
Send me the photos Travelin and I can post them for you if you wish.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55