Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My 659 was lonely, so I found it a companion

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

My 659 was lonely, so I found it a companion

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:39 pm

I picked the 659 up a few weeks ago and need to find some time to take it out for final testing since I rebuilt the rear sight.. It had been on my list for a long time. The price was good, and i figured there would be a few things to fix. It is more than i expected, but over all i am happy. I will get the old gal back in to fighting trim.

It shot okay, but I found out that the rear sight and the extractor had some issues. I believe I have that sorted out right now.

What I am dealing with now is failure to extract. I have two blued replacement extractors coming, and replacement extractor springs. I need to find a stainless late version extractor.

Right now I am hounding numrich, ebay, GB and several other placed to find one. Anyone have a better idea?

I suspect that will solve my extraction issues, my next issues. This old one was in bad shape. It looked fine at the gunstore but once I got it home and cleaned I found it to be chipped.

I picked up some wolf springs for magazines, but I still need to find some used magazines. I also picked up new recoil springs and hammer springs.

12lbs
14lbs
16lbs respectively.

What rating do you all recommend I start with?

How it looked after giving it a good wipedown once i got it home.

After replacing the rear sight blade, screw (stripped), the missing nut, and the missing pin in the screw.

The damaged extractor.

I cleaned it up with a file. I know, i know, but it was broken. It now at least hooks onto the rim of the case. I have not fired it as of yet, but at least it hooks. Prior to this, it did not. Again i have two blued replacements coming.

Trying out a new pair of stocks that had to be fitted. They feel good, but not as good as the rubber pachmayr grips it had on it. That old pair is falling apart but i did get a set of replacements.

A friend had this up for sale, and I jumped on the opportunity.

2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: My 659 was lonely, so I found it a companion

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:00 pm

nice looking Smith .... looking forward to your continued reports
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Great report and appreciate all the pics. I know how much work is involved.

My suggestion for the springs would be to start with whatever weight the stock spring had and see if it works. Going heavier might produce more wear and stress.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:36 pm

Nice report and great pics
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:39 pm

Your project turned out great!
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:47 pm

I'll get a chance to take them to the range hopefully this week. Ill report back how they turned out
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 am

Great post and I’ll be looking for the range report.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:12 am

One other thing you might check on extraction is take a hard close look at the chamber. If the previous owner was lax in cleaning their could be roughness, buildup, or pitting that effects extraction. The binding of the cases due to increased friction could be a factor if such a problem exists.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:19 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:12 am
One other thing you might check on extraction is take a hard close look at the chamber. If the previous owner was lax in cleaning their could be roughness, buildup, or pitting that effects extraction. The binding of the cases due to increased friction could be a factor if such a problem exists.
That i did do, i ran bore bright in the chamber of the original barrel prior to fixing the extractor. With the fixed extractor it had many fewer problems.

Now i need to see about getting to the range to shoot it and the 745.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:20 am

So, I made it to the indoor range yesterday.

The 659 parts kit I picked up has some issues. The barrel and recoil guide rod does not work on my 659 frame. The slide does, as long as I use my original 659 barrel, original bushing and original guide rod. It is not something I had experienced here at the house. But somehow at the range I got one of the four parts mixed up causing me no end of issues at the range.

Once home I was able to sit down and figure out what I had done. Long story short, the new barrel is keeping slide slightly out of battery, The plunger on the recoil rod is slightly too large to go into the hole on the 659 frame.

This means if I put the new slide on the gun, I need my original 659 barrel, bushing and recoil rod.

When using just the new recoil rod with my original barrel, the fact it does not seat properly keeps one from inserting the slide lock. It's a unique set of problems I had not expected. I am pretty sure I can figure out how and where the new barrel is keeping not locking up with the 659 frame. It's a matter of will to see it corrected if I can.

Now on to the accuracy tests with the gun, and both slides using the original 659 barrel, recoil rod, and bushing. The fucking same. Not a shits bit of difference between the two slides. Since I can't use the new factory barrel, it's somewhat of a useless test. It does prove one thing though, my 3rd re-assembly of the 659 rear sight fixed its drifting issues and my groups are now all within acceptable levels.

It also proves my first 9mm reloads were xxxx. I reloaded a number of 115-grain hap rounds prior to using a lee factory crimp die. Once I made it through those rounds the gun ran fine. Including my 147 reloads, factory 115, 124, and 147-grain ammo. The second magazine that was sent to me functions flawlessly with the new spring in it. So for now I will continue to use the pistol with the original slide, barrel, bushing and recoil rod.

On to the 745. I shot it here at the house using my 200grn LSWC's and felt it fired fine. At the range, it was a very pleasant gun to shoot. I with the indoor ranges would provide some lighting from behind to light up the front sight, but even with that caveat, the gun fired wonderful 50 cent piece sized groups. If I did my part, which, most of the time I did not. It is a fantastic pistol. Even the three promag magazines have failed to give me any kind of trouble. The trigger is a crisp 2.5lbs with a reset appropriate to that weight. I am quite happy with it.

The star of the day was my 115grn 357 sig, and 125grn 357 sig rounds. All of them functioned flawlessly and here I had no issues keeping the group sizes small. I had some concerns about setback with 357 sig, and as I didn't load these with a second crimp die (other than the integrated seating and crimp) I was a bit worried. The issue was moot out of the couple hundred rounds I fired.
0 x