Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Project " Blackjack 22 Mag" completed .......

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Project " Blackjack 22 Mag" completed .......

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Well how this got started.... I read about the recent new .22 revolver from Heritage Manufacturing called the Barkeep which is a 2.5 inch version of the Rough Rider. That got the wheels turning in my head since I had a 4.75 Rough Rider hiding in a drawer in the gun cabinet.

So into the shop it goes setting it up in the lathe and cutting the barrel back to 2 1/4 inch with an 11 degree crown and reblued. Then what to do about the ejector rod? The Barkeep uses a rod with a clunky wood handle that you have to remember to put in your pocket when you go shoot.
I gave it more thought and figured a way to keep the rod stored inside the revolver grip panel and then add a small dice knob to it to go along with the gambler's belly gun theme of the Blackjack the name I give it.
Set the grip panel up in a fixture in the mill and carefully drilled down to the needed depth without breaking thru! Then the small dice was threaded for the 5-40 thread end on the .156 diameter rod. I polished the ejector rod with a taper so the rod slides easily into the grip and then gets snug that last 1/2 inch or so. The rod stays in place with no issue while handling and shooting the revolver...always there when you need it!
The Barkeep has a front sight but to keep mine as a true belly gun for up close work....no front sight needed.

I had a 22 Magnum cylinder with the Rough Rider but wanted something a bit special for this project so ordered an engraved 22 Mag cylinder from Heritage. Man it looks just right and the fit was perfect with only .003 cylinder gap!

Also as a cool touch I polished off the black paint off of the grip frame to a nice shine which looks good with the black frame.

Took it to the range today to try it out as you can read about in the Range Report section trying two kinds of CCI 22 Mag ammo.
One more thing to do though and that is take the grip panels to the local trophy shop for a special engraving to finish it off.
Was a cool little project that seems to have turned out well and a one of a kind!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Project " Blackjack 22 Mag" completed .......

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Have to say, you are quite the gunsmith, forty. Have long admired the work you can do on your guns.
0 x