Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 22LR pistol.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

New 22LR pistol.

Post by Cofisher » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm

I am looking for help choosing a new pistol. Looking for 22Lr types. Always like the Colt Woodsman. And, of course, the Ruger Marks.

I’m not a precision shooter. Just for fun and SD.

Is the Victory an option here?
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: New 22LR pistol.

Post by Ernie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:54 pm

I don't have any experience with the Victory but I am a Colt Woodsman fan. They shoot well for me. Rugers shoot well but don't feel the that comfortable in my hand. Also like the Browning Buckmarks, they do well for me too.
There are a lot of good 22 semi auto pistols out there and everyone has their own preferences. Try handling different ones at your LGS or shooting a friend's pistol to get some idea of what feels right for you. I sure North Country Gal can give you some clear and useful information to make a good choice.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:20 pm

Have owned a couple of the Victory autos and accuracy on both was right there with the much more expensive S&W Model 41. Fairly simple, takedown, too. Out of the box trigger was decent, but not great, so do test before buying if you can. There are a couple of aftermarket trigger jobs, but they look a bit complicated, so I never tried one.

No experience with the Ruger MK IV, but I grew up with the earlier vintage Marks. They have everything else beat as far as durability. You simply cannot wear out the MK I, II or III. Triggers out of the box on the Ruger autos can be all over the map, so as with the Victory, try before you buy. Again, plenty of aftermarket trigger mods for the Rugers.

Love the vintage Colt and High Standard 22 autos (have had both), but be very careful about paying the high dollars these can cost. Finding replacement parts, especially magazines (a weak point), not to mention someone who really knows how to work on these classics can be a challenge and an expensive one to boot. Definitely educate yourself on the wear points of the various models, because you can wear these to the point of not being able to restore them. If you're just looking for something fun to shoot, I'd stick with something current.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Jim
Im not fond or the grip looks of the Victory but thats just a cosmetic thing with me I guess. I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV Ultra lite. I like it alot. Trigger pull is a eh it could be better but Volquatenson makes a drop in kit for it that I think I will put in mine. Mine isnt terrible but it could be better. Im not real fond on the standard Ruger Mark series grip but the 22/45 is great. Just my .02 cents worth
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:43 am

You will find that the Victory is pretty heavy due to the bull barrel, it’s pretty much designed to be a target pistol. If your looking for a plinker that is nice to put in a holster maybe take a look at the Sig Mosquito or the Ruger SR-22. Of course there are lots of other choices out there that are similar to these. I used to have an S&W M&P 22 full size and it was a fun casual shooter.
0 x