What was old is now new again.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

What was old is now new again.

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:34 am

HUH?

:lol:

So last week I brought home a revolver that I thought would be a good nightstand gun for my wife. I bought it without her input because she was resisting the idea. Her fault. One day I was “scolding” her on door locking and she told me not to worry because if there was a problem she would just head to the bedroom and grab my gun. I let her know that if I’m not home that gun is in my pocket, not in the nightstand.

Well, that turned out to be a problem. I selected a Taurus M/856 which is a J frame sized revolver but has a six shot cylinder. Also it has a pretty small grip which is good for her tiny hands. I was able to scrounge here locally one box of Hornady 38 std. velocity 95 grain Critical Defense which from my research is one of the most mild 38 special defense cartridges available.

Soooooo home I come with a big smile on my face and presented to her a new gun that would always be available to her access if I’m not home. Only to find that she was unable to fire the gun in double action and was unable to reach the hammer to fire it in single. OOPS……. My bad. So I had her try my Ruger LCR and she was able to manipulate it just fine. So she says….”I just keep this one”. :shock: WHAT?

So I’m thinking how am I going to fix this problem LCR’s are selling for north of $500 and I don’t want to shell that out right now. Then I remember that a few years ago I had traded a 38 LCR to my son. Recently he had purchased a Hellcat and also I had recently traded my Shield to him so I figured he may not have that LCR in his carry rotation. Sure enough, he was willing to let it go so we made another trade. Got it home and my wife is able to fire it with ease.

Problem solved. :D

This is the Taurus I bought, nice gun for the price ($300) but it’s now for sale on the local trader page.

37E66C19-87E3-46F5-AC04-61B0435F740E.jpeg
E98D9423-660A-4EE6-ADB3-A9D84D28942A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: What was old is now new again.

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:49 am

I doubt that will take long to sell. Especially nowadays. Good moves all around.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:04 am

Lesson learned there Hatch its hard to buy a gun for a woman. Im not a fan or Taurus and Im kinda like you and your wife my LCRX 38 special is my favorite carry gun.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:00 am

Last couple days I've been back pocket carrying my .44 Special Bulldog with my 200 gr. Gold Dot loads. It is a bit lighter than my usual Springfield XDE .45
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am

For all you guys thinking of buying a gun for a gal who is not much into shooting, this is a good lesson. Please take the time to take you gal to the range and let her try a variety of guns. We gals are as different in our tastes and preferences with handguns as you guys. You may be VERY surprised at what she decides she likes. I've had some gals come to me for help after their guys decided for her what she should like and not like without letting her try different guns and decide for herself. Some of those gals strongly preferred autoloaders to revolvers, by the way.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Ditto on what Joanie said. Same is true with cars.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 pm

I agree with your thinking Hatchdog. I was looking to get another handgun. My wife likes shooting my S&W model 65. So, I thought another revolver would do. I was looking at a Ruger SP101. We went to a gun show, and she handled semi-autos and revolvers. She seem to like a revolver. But, it was a air-lite. So, my search was refined to air-lite revolvers. Found a S&W model 360 last Fall. She seems to like it. To her, it was the weight that mattered. With .38s, the recoil is not a concern. .357s, that is a different story. But, .38 +Ps seems to be just right. Now, we both can reach for a S&W. Not a choice to look forward to. But, a choice that I would not want to be without.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am
For all you guys thinking of buying a gun for a gal who is not much into shooting, this is a good lesson. Please take the time to take you gal to the range and let her try a variety of guns. We gals are as different in our tastes and preferences with handguns as you guys. You may be VERY surprised at what she decides she likes. I've had some gals come to me for help after their guys decided for her what she should like and not like without letting her try different guns and decide for herself. Some of those gals strongly preferred autoloaders to revolvers, by the way.

Absolutely correct NCG, I pleaded with her to go to the shop with me and see what she likes but she resisted the whole idea. So I had to take it upon myself to, if nothing else, make a firearm available should she decide to use one. I would have not even considered it but she made the comment that if needed she would go to the nightstand and get my gun (which would not be there). So, now there is one in place if she wants. I understand that training or at least familiarity needs to happen and I’m working on that. She is proficient with long guns and owns a 22lr bolt rifle and a 20 ga semi-auto shotgun.

Two funny stories…….

Yesterday I was gone all day and when I got home she was in the basement. She heard me stomping around upstairs and when she came up she commented to me that…. I thought I might need to get MY gun. MY gun, I like that!

Several years ago when we were doing a lot more grouse hunting that we currently do we stopped into a gun shop in a small town about 80 miles north of Spokane. She has a 20 ga semi auto but was interested in looking at a pump. While in the store she had a Remington 870 Express 20 ga Youth in her hands and she looked at the clerk and said, “I’ll take it”. No glancing at me, no asking my opinion, just I’ll take it! That was fun!!! :D
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:28 am

GFK wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 pm
I agree with your thinking Hatchdog. I was looking to get another handgun. My wife likes shooting my S&W model 65. So, I thought another revolver would do. I was looking at a Ruger SP101. We went to a gun show, and she handled semi-autos and revolvers. She seem to like a revolver. But, it was a air-lite. So, my search was refined to air-lite revolvers. Found a S&W model 360 last Fall. She seems to like it. To her, it was the weight that mattered. With .38s, the recoil is not a concern. .357s, that is a different story. But, .38 +Ps seems to be just right. Now, we both can reach for a S&W. Not a choice to look forward to. But, a choice that I would not want to be without.
Same here, when she handled my LCR which is a 327 Fed Magnum she really liked the weight vs the all steel Taurus. Interesting is that my 327 has more steel than the 38 special LCR and is around 4 oz heavier. Ruger does this with the “magnum” caliber LCR’s which interestingly enough includes the 9mm. Anyway I explained weight v recoil to her and she correctly commented that should she ever need to use the 38 for self defense recoil would be overcome by adrenaline. It is loaded with that Hornady 95 grain standard velocity low recoil cartridge I mentioned above.

Once the fire danger is over and our public lands are open again for shooting I’m confident she will go with me and put some of my light 38 loads thru it plus a few of the Hornady’s too.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:16 am

She sounds like she knows what she wants and, hopefully, you can get her out to the range and have her practice with HER new gun. :)
0 x