Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

new Langdon Compact Carry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

new Langdon Compact Carry

Post by dave77 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:21 am

They finally got some back in stock. Ordered one last Friday, my local FFL got it today so I will go do the paperwork and get to look at it tomorrow. Then I get to wait up to 10 days for the background check. Used to be able to pick up a handgun the same day if you had a CCP, now they can't go directly through NICS for the background check, they have to go through local police/sheriff dept.

Every one over on the Beretta Forum that has one says I will not be disappointed with the trigger. Anxious to see how much better it is than my standard PX4c.

My friend who will be getting my old one is anxious too. She does a lot of yardwork later at night and only has a little 5 shot snubnose 38 Special. We've had a couple close by cougar encounters recently, the one with the Great Pyrenees was just up the road from us. She has her Pit/Boxer mix with her but he's a big baby, he's afraid of Leroy, my big black cat.

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/loc ... 14fe4.html

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/loc ... c37f6.html

https://www.langdontactical.com/px4-com ... igger-job/
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: new Langdon Compact Carry

Post by JEBar » Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am

I've only seen 1 cougar .... it was several years ago in the city limits of Conroe, TX in a small roadside park .... two lady wildlife officers had just put it down .... they are most impressive critters
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu May 27, 2021 9:35 am

A short 9mm pistol is not a great choice for a cat or a black bear, what ammo do you and your neighbor plan to carry? JHPs are bad, for a big healthy animal. But they would have worked OK for that skinny sick cougar. Maybe.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luge ... rator.html

I carry a P10F (5”) with 20 rounds of light JHPs normally, but for woods I switch to the SP101 .327 Fed Mag 4” with the Underwood XP ammo.

John Davies
Spokane WA
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu May 27, 2021 11:23 am

Dave, I’m sure you saw this on the news but for others here’s an interesting story with a good ending.

A cougar was spotted in a small town called Ephrata which is located pretty close to where Dave lives. This cougar was spotted in town and was chased by the local PD and Sheriff. The cat in trying to get away got very confused as you could imaging and ended up running through a guys screen door looking for shelter. The game dept folks were called and they were able to dart and relocate him without any injuries to people and the cat. Poor guys house took a hit tho....

News report stated it was a healthy Tom who apparently was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :lol:

BAB7095D-2E7F-4A66-89BD-2E52152B531E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:46 pm

I might give that Underwood ammo a try. I have good defensive rds. in my carry mag but they're not +p.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 pm

Got to look at and dry fire the gun. Very smooth trigger although my plain jane PX4 has a nice trigger. Most noticeable change was the reset, way shorter. Langdon says it's ⅒". Can't wait to shoot it.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:23 am
Dave, I’m sure you saw this on the news but for others here’s an interesting story with a good ending.

A cougar was spotted in a small town called Ephrata which is located pretty close to where Dave lives. This cougar was spotted in town and was chased by the local PD and Sheriff. The cat in trying to get away got very confused as you could imaging and ended up running through a guys screen door looking for shelter. The game dept folks were called and they were able to dart and relocate him without any injuries to people and the cat. Poor guys house took a hit tho....

News report stated it was a healthy Tom who apparently was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :lol:

BAB7095D-2E7F-4A66-89BD-2E52152B531E.jpeg
Yes, he was just confused and scared and trying to get away. The video in my link shows him running from the leo car. I doubt he would come back to town again.

I've never seen one but my neighbor just up the road has. One night he let his Miniature Schnauzer out and it turned right around and ran back inside, he stepped out on the porch and there was a cougar standing about 10 feet away, he waved his arms and yelled at it and it ran off.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:55 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:35 am
A short 9mm pistol is not a great choice for a cat or a black bear, what ammo do you and your neighbor plan to carry? JHPs are bad, for a big healthy animal. But they would have worked OK for that skinny sick cougar. Maybe.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luge ... rator.html

I carry a P10F (5”) with 20 rounds of light JHPs normally, but for woods I switch to the SP101 .327 Fed Mag 4” with the Underwood XP ammo.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Ordered a couple boxes of their Extreme Defender 90gr. Watched some YouTube videos and it's pretty impressive, the Extreme Penetrator might be a little much for a non-animal predator because of over penetration collateral damage. Got 2 boxes so will be able to shoot some to get a feel for the +p and then add a few rounds of my Hornady Critical Defense with it to our carry mags.

Hope to get out to shoot my new Compact Carry tomorrow, been dry firing it and the trigger is definitely better than the old one, especially the reset.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger ... 816-1.html
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:55 pm

That Underwood ammo, even brfore the pandemic, was expensive. I was interested because of its penetration power for black bear defense at the cabin. You need good penetration for them!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:17 pm

I like Underwoods ammo, it shot well and group well in the 41 mag Henry.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012