Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

Post by markiver54 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:34 am

Here's my take on it. Maybe I'm wrong, but, when I started bear hunting many years ago, that is when I bought my S&W 500 magnum. I wanted the challenge of hunting bear with a handgun. The rest of the club carried 44 rifles.
I guess the key word here is 'challenge'. Maybe that is what Gunny is looking for...dunno, I guess he might clarify that?
Maybe I'm off base. I know Gunny realizes the accuracy of a rifle, over a handgun. ( generally speaking )
Bottom line is...we're all friends here, so, let's try to not upset or aggravate each other. ☺
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 27, 2021 12:36 pm

Amen to that. Never doubted for a moment that Gunny knows what he is doing. Actually, a very good question on his part. Lots of good info and input in this thread. Good work, folks.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu May 27, 2021 7:56 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:34 am
Here's my take on it. Maybe I'm wrong, but, when I started bear hunting many years ago, that is when I bought my S&W 500 magnum. I wanted the challenge of hunting bear with a handgun. The rest of the club carried 44 rifles.
I guess the key word here is 'challenge'. Maybe that is what Gunny is looking for...dunno, I guess he might clarify that?
Maybe I'm off base. I know Gunny realizes the accuracy of a rifle, over a handgun. ( generally speaking )
Bottom line is...we're all friends here, so, let's try to not upset or aggravate each other. ☺
I like a good challenge myself Mark.
I like to deer hunt some with handguns, and have taken 4 deer with 4 different handguns.
No bears around here. ;)

Good luck to ya Gunny.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri May 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Be interesting to see how it shoots, I have had a buckmark for 25 years. It has just started to give a few functioning issues but round count is over 100k. The only other issue I have had was a mag base falling off, simple job to drill and pin the base.
Mine is the field version so bull barrel adjustable trigger etc, accuracy is very good, 10 shot groups at 25m under 1" are easy enough off a bench. Son actually used it for a number of years when he started shooting competition, shot well enough for him to make the junior state team when everyone else was using dedicated Euro ISSF target pistols.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 28, 2021 5:27 pm

220 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:53 pm
Be interesting to see how it shoots, I have had a buckmark for 25 years. It has just started to give a few functioning issues but round count is over 100k. The only other issue I have had was a mag base falling off, simple job to drill and pin the base.
Mine is the field version so bull barrel adjustable trigger etc, accuracy is very good, 10 shot groups at 25m under 1" are easy enough off a bench. Son actually used it for a number of years when he started shooting competition, shot well enough for him to make the junior state team when everyone else was using dedicated Euro ISSF target pistols.
That's good to know. :) Thanks. I think that I could buy a 7.5" bull barrel according to the parts list for this Camper if it turns out the stock barrel is not getting the job done.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 28, 2021 8:03 pm

220 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:53 pm
That is impressive. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat May 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Picked up the Buckmark today. Probably won't tear it down or shoot it for a while - priorities. But here's a pic. There is no external wear or damage of any kind, not even the usual bunged up screws you see on used guns. Gun was made in 2015 per the serial number and looks like it spent it's entire life in a sock drawer. ;)

3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Nice Gunny...congrats! Hope it serves you well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun May 30, 2021 10:00 am

Yep, number one priority is taking possession. The fun can come later if necessary. Looks great, might just be the pic but I like the different color of the grip panels.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:00 am
Yep, number one priority is taking possession. The fun can come later if necessary. Looks great, might just be the pic but I like the different color of the grip panels.
The panels in the pic are very slightly darker than they are to the eye. Due to the lighting in my shop I expect.
0 x