Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Looking for a new .22lr pistol or revolver for discouraging blueberry eatin' squirrels. They cleaned me out last year. I have a couple rifles, but would rather have a handgun for this. I have a old sig 1911-22 but it's not very accurate beyond 10 yds or so. I need something that will get the job done at 30-40 yds. Hoping you can recommend a gun and sights/optic that won't break the bank.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:40 pm

My guess would be a Ruger. Can't remember the model I'm thinking of with the bull barrel though. Will be interested to see what NCG says.
Would not hesitate to use my single 10, if it was me though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun May 23, 2021 5:05 pm

My guess would be one of the Ruger Mark series pistols or the New Smith and Wesson Victory. They are both capable of doing what you want to do Gene.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 23, 2021 6:15 pm

Pretty much what I would recommend, too. I would opt for an auto if you want the most potential accuracy, but a good 22 revolver is certainly up to the task. What accuracy you get with any choice is also going to be a matter of what sights you use and, of course, your skill level.

On the autos, the S&W Victory is a real bargain as far as accuracy, right out of the box. For the price, I don't think you can beat the Victory. The one I had would shoot groups right there with my uber expensive Model 41. Triggers are decent and there are some after market kits to make the Victory trigger even better, but doing the mod is a bit complicated. Comes with a scope rail if you want to add a red dot, which I prefer to a scope for ease of use.

Any Ruger Mark is a good choice, though triggers out of the box can be all over the map. Strongly suggest you try before you buy on any Ruger as far as the trigger. The good news is that trigger kits are widely available for Ruger Marks. Lots of options on mounts for a scope or red dot, too.

For revolvers, you're most likely to get the best out of the box accuracy (and trigger) with the Smith 617, but, yeah, they are expensive. Vintage 17s (blued guns) and even older 617s (stainless guns) won't be much cheaper, though, since these are in high demand by Smith fans. Scope mounts are available for the current 617s and the 617 balances pretty decent with a red dot.

Ruger Single Sixes are steady and very reliable - you can't wear one out - but accuracy will be more variable than a Smith 617. Still, I've never had a Single Six that wouldn't at least shoot reasonably good groups and I've had a few that were simply outstanding (still have a couple of those). The Single Ten (a 10 shot Single Six, but no extra cylinder) I had was also outstanding. Trigger jobs are easy via a Poor Man's trigger job. You also get the extra mag cylinder, too, on the usual Single Six and that could be very useful for some kinds of pest control. Weigand also makes a scope/red dot mount for the Single Six/Ten and I have used scopes and red dots on SSs, but makes for a fairly awkward rig to use. The exception to that would be the Single Six Hunter that has its own built in scope mount. These are very hard to find, these days, but I highly recommend one for any long range work. The couple I had would shoot right there with an 22 LR auto.

The 8 shot Ruger SP101 has been a mixed bag for me. Absolute must to check the trigger on these. In most cases, the single action trigger is useable, but in most cases the double action trigger is just plain wretched. Most SP 101 22 LR owners do the replacement spring thing to get a useable trigger. My Single Sixes have usually outshot my SP101 22 LRs for accuracy.

The Ruger GP100 22 LR I've never owned or shot, but you'l likely be facing the same trigger issues as with the SP 101 based on reports I've gotten from owners and ones I've inspected in stores. Again, strongly suggest you check the trigger before you buy.

If I think of any others, I'll add them later. I'm sure others will add their thoughts, too. Just holler if you have questions, as always.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun May 23, 2021 7:07 pm

I hate to be a party pooper, but 40 yard shots on squirrels with a .22LR pistol, even a scoped one, is going to be really tough and you risk a lot of wounded and suffering animals. I have a super accurate .22/45 with Tactical Solutions bull barrel and a tuned trigger. I would take on squirrels with it at 25 yards max. You really need a scoped rifle, preferably a bolt action. A CZ 455 or 457 Varmint in .22 LR or .17HMR would be a great choice. If you are determined to have a pistol, how about a TC Contender? There are a gazillion used ones on the market, it isn’t necessary to buy new. However - even the more recent Easy Open frames are not really easy, I gave up my Contenders because of hand strength issues. If you have weak hands, don’t get one.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 23, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks y'all, especially NCG for her detailed reply. I can probably find the S&W Victory and Rugers locally at one of the shops near me, but I don't think any of them have a range on site so won't be able to test drive.

Nobody mentioned the current crop of Browning Buckmarks, so I guess there's a reason for that. :)

One question about ammo for the Victory or Ruger Semi's. Will they cycle reliably with std. vel. or sub-sonic ammo, such as Eley Sport 40grn(1085fps)? My old Sig requires HV ammo.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Standard velocity, yes, on the cycling question assuming the gun has broken in a bit. Sub sonic, though, at best, is a maybe. I wouldn't count on it. Be prepared to be shooting in single shot mode. If you want to go subsonic, a revolver is the way to go.

As for the Buckmark, I've never owned or shot one, but I do know it has a loyal following. Certainly a possibility.

John is certainly right out about 40 yard shots on squirrels with a revolver or auto. I've done it on rare occasions when I was in a position to make a good shot, but I wouldn't recommend it with the typical 22 auto or revolver. This is handgun hunting, meaning you need to rely on good hunting skills to get close. By far, most of my shots on small game with revolver or auto were under 30 yards.

Yes, I shot Contenders for many many years, but be careful, now that S&W (who owns TC) has put TC up for sale. There are plenty of issues on parts and compatibility as it is, now. If you do opt for a Contender, please feel free to ask me any questions.

One last breed of 22 pistol that would be very suitable for those 40 yard and even longer shots on squirrels would be another type of specialty pistol, that being a bolt action silhouette pistol such as the Anschutz Exemplar. These are about as specialized as it gets in a handgun, so really a different world of shooting. Make no mistake, though, my Exemplar will shoot groups at 50 yards every bit as good as my favorite CZ rifles. :)

0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun May 23, 2021 10:07 pm

30 Or 40 yards is really stretching it as has been mentioned. When I was much younger I squirrel hunted with a six inch S&W K-22 Outdoorsman made in 1932. With it I could head shoot them out of the trees but it wasn't near 30 yards. I still have the old Smith and also a 17-3 K-22 8 3/8" . But you need a good rifle and a good scope.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:12 pm

I've been taking out tree rats at 30 to 50 yards with my Sheridan pump, open sights for years. Yes, a hand gun is more challenging, but I don't have time for that.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:15 am

My Browning Buck Mark is a very accurate pistol, and I'm not a great pistol shot. I have a small Weaver reflex sight on it.

Don't have any pics of fired targets from it, but it is a good-shooting gun.
IMG_20180523_213311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x