Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: NCG Recommend a .22lr handgun?

Post by GunnyGene » Tue May 25, 2021 9:38 pm

BTW, the model I bought is the Camper. Should do for what I plan for it. Almost went for a higher end model, but at nearly double the cost I couldn't justify it.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 am
Had to run some errands in town this morning, so stopped by my LGS to get hands on with the 3 under discussion. He pulled out 4 or 5 models of each for me to compare; different barrels, threaded/not threaded, etc. Had about dozen of them on counter including one very lightly used Browning. So played with each, and settled on the used Buckmark. $285. Didn't have that much cash on me, so gave him $50 to hold it for me for a few days. :D
That seems like an outstanding price on a used Buckmark.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed May 26, 2021 10:01 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Had to run some errands in town this morning, so stopped by my LGS to get hands on with the 3 under discussion. He pulled out 4 or 5 models of each for me to compare; different barrels, threaded/not threaded, etc. Had about dozen of them on counter including one very lightly used Browning. So played with each, and settled on the used Buckmark. $285. Didn't have that much cash on me, so gave him $50 to hold it for me for a few days. :D
I agree Hatch.
Congrats Gene. 👍

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed May 26, 2021 10:48 am

Vaquero wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:01 am
Hatchdog wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am
GunnyGene wrote:
I agree Hatch.
Congrats Gene. 👍

RP
Might be a little early for congrats. I've read that Buckmarks sometimes have a feed problem related to the feed ramp, magazine, or hollow points. Speaking of mags, has anyone used the Magpul mags in one? They're about half the price of factory.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 26, 2021 10:52 am

I said, I have no experience with the Browning, but when it comes to mags with a particular gun, it's usually just a try and and see. Best of luck on your new shooter.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:07 am

I have both the Ruger MK III and a Browning Buckmark. The Ruger is the better pistol in my opinion. Less problems with jams and with most ammo brands it is more accurate. Both can have feeding issues with large flat end hollow point ammo but I believe the Browning is worse than the Ruger. The mags load smoother and easier on the Browning than the Ruger. In being fair to the Browning I believe overall it is getting better with the more it gets fired as far as accuracy and function. I flipped the sear spring over in the Browning and cut the trigger pull in half down now to 2 1/4 lb with no other work needed. Not as easy on the Ruger to get the pull weight down but it is much better now than when new. I had a bad grip panel on the Browning and called them and told them the right grip was not good. I asked if they could replace the right side panel. The lady said "I will send a complete set at no charge." So it looks like their customer service is good and I believe Rugers is to. If I was getting rid of one of these hand guns it would be the Browning. To many cheap made parts compared to the Ruger. Everyone knows the Rugers are built for very long service with little maintenance.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 am

I am unclear how this new Browning is going to cure your 40 yard squirrel issue. Did you decide to just get closer? Because it won’t be satisfactory even with a scope at that range. You still have time to buy an accurate rifle instead…

John Davies
Spokane WA
3 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 27, 2021 10:25 am

John E Davies wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 am
I am unclear how this new Browning is going to cure your 40 yard squirrel issue. Did you decide to just get closer? Because it won’t be satisfactory even with a scope at that range. You still have time to buy an accurate rifle instead…

John Davies
Spokane WA
I have rifles. Whether the Browning or any other similar pistol will prove to be satisfactory is undetermined at this point. I'll make that call for myself. :roll:
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 27, 2021 10:30 am

bandit1250 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:07 am
I have both the Ruger MK III and a Browning Buckmark. The Ruger is the better pistol in my opinion. Less problems with jams and with most ammo brands it is more accurate. Both can have feeding issues with large flat end hollow point ammo but I believe the Browning is worse than the Ruger. The mags load smoother and easier on the Browning than the Ruger. In being fair to the Browning I believe overall it is getting better with the more it gets fired as far as accuracy and function. I flipped the sear spring over in the Browning and cut the trigger pull in half down now to 2 1/4 lb with no other work needed. Not as easy on the Ruger to get the pull weight down but it is much better now than when new. I had a bad grip panel on the Browning and called them and told them the right grip was not good. I asked if they could replace the right side panel. The lady said "I will send a complete set at no charge." So it looks like their customer service is good and I believe Rugers is to. If I was getting rid of one of these hand guns it would be the Browning. To many cheap made parts compared to the Ruger. Everyone knows the Rugers are built for very long service with little maintenance.
At this time I'm not planning on any significant mods, with the possible exception of making some wood grip panels, which I have done for other hand guns in the past. If it becomes necessary, then I'll consider whatever may be needed.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu May 27, 2021 11:21 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:25 am
I have rifles. Whether the Browning or any other similar pistol will prove to be satisfactory is undetermined at this point. I'll make that call for myself. :roll:
That's fine, no worries, you don't need to roll your eyes. I thought the topic was about a good .22LR pistol for nailing tiny animals at long distance. At least, that is what you implied and most members assumed, I think. Good luck with the Browning, let us know how it works out.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x