Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brough Home a Ruger Mark IV

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Brough Home a Ruger Mark IV

Post by tractortad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:55 am

Congrats - that is one nice looking pistol. Definitely on my "gotta get list"...
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:45 am

Congrats and you have a beautiful gun!

I am interested in how it continues to perform for you too.

Cate
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:25 am

That's a great looking gun. It is tops in the accuracy dept it looks like too.

I wonder how it will compare in popularity with the Smith and Wesson?
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 am

I've not shot a Ruger Mark series pistol, but have shot the Ruger 22/45 Lite. It's an accurate handgun, too. (Used it for the handgun portion of the 3-Gun Competition training I went through a few years ago....much fun to shoot!).

Your targets are great, Steve. Best part of your range report is that you shot these critters with the pistol straight out-of-the-box. That's a good indicator of Ruger putting the gun together well. BTW, perfect choice in picking out a "good-looker," too -- stainless looks really cool!

Congrats, and enjoy it!
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:55 am

My local gun club has both the stainless and standard blue model. I looked them over pretty hard. I have a Mark III hunter model I like real well. Its ok to take apart gives me something to do for about an hour trying to figure out how to get it back together. But I ususally always get it. Nice job Steve and congrats on the new Ruger. Need to shoot mine more also. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Bish1309
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Bish1309 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:16 am

Those are very cool pistols.....I hope you know what GAS is....you are causing it big time!
Last edited by Bish1309 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bish

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:22 am

I like the targets also, nice shooting!! I got a live GH this summer about where your hits are. In one arm pit and out the other. The only one that didn't run at all.
If my dog saw that ground hog target, I'd never get to shoot it. He'd shred it. :lol:

And, kill the wabbit!! :D
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:26 am

ditto1958 wrote:I'm pretty sure I "need" a new Mark IV.
I agree. I need one too.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm

daytime dave wrote:That's a great looking gun. It is tops in the accuracy dept it looks like too.

I wonder how it will compare in popularity with the Smith and Wesson?
When the subject of an accurate .22lr semi auto pistol comes up, there are normally only two real contenders. The Buckmark and the Mark series. I think I can say that the Mark series is the most popular by far. I know lots of folks that have one or more. I don't know anyone that has a Buckmark. I rarely see a used one for sale in the pawns.

I've never had the chance to shoot a Buckmark, but I have shot one of the Smith target .22 pistols. I was not impressed. I believe they have a newer model out that is similar in construction to the Mark. Smith really excels with their revolver line, Ruger has a solid reputation with the Mark series.

The only consistent complaint with the Marks is tear down. The Mark IV addresses that issue.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:43 pm

About ten years ago I was at the range with my 22/45. I had just setup but not shoot yet when Dave Workman showed up. Dave is a local firearms writer. We have seen each other at the range enough times and although he might not know my name we have shot side by side numerous times. I wasn't in a hurry to shoot so waited for him to setup. While I was waiting I asked him what he was writing on. He said he was writing an article about accuracy, not the firearm or shooter accuracy but rather perceived accuracy. One man might like a one inch group at 50 yards but another wouldn't like a half inch at the same distance.

I had thrown a tennis ball out to about 15 yards and was going to shoot at it. I did so and in rather quick succession fired all ten rounds. Each round hit the ball and pushed it further out to 25 yards where there is a berm to prevent it from going further out. But the berm also made a ramp and the tennis ball would go flying up the berm and into the air. Several times out of the ten shots I hit the ball while it was still moving. I'm not the greatest shot in the world but every dog has his day. This was my day as I must admit it was quite impressive. After shooting I just said "all I want to do is hit a ball". Since I knew I could never repeat that in a million years I packed everything up and left.
4 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater