Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Mark IV~~~

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Ruger Mark IV~~~

Post by tractortad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 am

I held one of these at the LGS a few days ago - very nice pistol - definitely on my wish list. To me, it's a pistol with a rifle action - seemed well made and built to last like most Rugers. The guy behind the counter broke it down and put it back together in about 10 seconds. I think they are selling well and are probably hard to find now before X-mas, but - if you want a Mk III now is the time buy - seems like all the dealers are discounting their remaining stock due to the newer model Mk IV's being out...
2 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:42 am

I'm not sure what mine is. It says 22/45 on the barrel.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:07 am

Sir Henry wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:Naw. Just give your friendly Firearms Advisor a nod if you get stuck. Just upgraded a Mark II, yesterday, with a VQ sear, in fact.
I can do it but I have to watch a video each time. :(
Someone needs to come up with a meme to facilitate reassembly. Sort of like the old bolen thing of "The rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, back in the..?????". OK I can't remember that one either. I either watch the video each time, or just try it couple times until it clicks when I pull the trigger. I only do a tear down every thousand rounds, unless I'm shooting some really dirty stuff.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:14 pm

There are tons of youtubes on this.

I clean my Marks when they tell me they need cleaning. Usually around round count 1000, depending on the ammo, extraction gets a bit difficult from a dirty chamber and breech area. Then I'll usually do a tear down and complete clean.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Just don't loose that tiny little spring under the firing pin. I was cleaning mine last year in the shop, plenty of wood shavings on the floor. Next thing I know the little spring pops out. I was thinking about how long it would take to get that little spring from Ruger. I got out the flashlight and low and behold I found it. I am very careful these days when the bolt comes out.

Got a chance to see a Mark IV today. Pulled the barrel. Cool. Extra $100 over the same model in a Mark III.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:23 am

North Country Gal wrote:Cate, if you post a pic or give me a serial number, I can give you an exact model and date. I collect Marks from the very earliest up through most of the Mark IIIs. No, don't have the IV, yet, because its main feature of easy takedown is not an advantage for me. Been taking these things apart for 40 years, so takedown is no big deal.

Wandering around some of the other websites, though, and folks seem to overall happy with the IV. Apparently still very much a Mark with some new wrinkles.
Thanks and when I mentioned my late husband's old RUGER MARK pistol... I just remember it from years ago. He had it before and up to 1998. He sold it.

I never shot that Ruger pistol.

The only gun that I shot of his before I really got 'into' guns (Late 90's and on for me.) and shooting was a former, classic, Dan Wesson d/a revolver of his.

Thanks again.

Cate
0 x