Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Snubby fun

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Snubby fun

Post by Centaur » Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 am

Picked up a S&W Chiefs special, after many years of not shooting snub nose revolvers. I carried one off and on as a cop in years past, but it’s gonna take some shooting to relearn the inherently heavy trigger that is part of the characteristics of these little hand cannons.
Although the gun is rate for +P, I doubt that I will be shooting those loads for a while, if ever. This gun is useful as a summertime CCW and as something to remind me that I am not the next Jerry Michulek.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Snubby fun

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 15, 2024 9:24 am

Is this a vintage Model 36 or a relatively recent Model 36? I wouldn't shoot +P in one of the vintage 36s, either. I've always wanted a nice, clean 36. They are such a classic. Love to hear how it shoots for you.

Right now, my 38 snubby is the ultra modern Kimber K6xs. It is rated for +P. I shoot it with some of the current self-defense loads, which are actually not too bad for recoil in this ultra light 38.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed May 15, 2024 10:13 am

Congratulations on your recent snub pick up. They aren't for everyone.
I find the J frames have a particularly heavy double action pull. I think it can be corrected with the proper spring upgrade / replacement rather than an action job.

NCG, those Hornadays you have in your photograph seem to be a good carry round once you find your point of aim.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Wed May 15, 2024 12:24 pm

This one is the new version. And it is a heavy double action, but I will try to get used to it before getting a spring kit.
My last encounter with a Chiefs Special was when I was undercover and an individual took poorly to my taking him to jail. He put his ill gotten snubby in my belly, but happily I was able to disarm him before he could pull that heavy trigger. Shades of Jack Ruby/Lee Harvey Oswald with a better outcome for me.
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 15, 2024 12:42 pm

Wow! That's spooky. Hope I'm never in such a predicament.
0 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sat May 18, 2024 5:35 pm

Just picked up my snubby fun range sometime next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)