Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Predator 22LR

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Ruger Predator 22LR

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:33 pm

I scoped the Ruger yesterday and also changed the stock insert to the low comb youth length. It was just to long for my wife and it actually feels better to me with the shorter one on it. I shot a few rounds through it last evening just before dark and it did OK. I adjusted the trigger down to just a few ounces over 2lb. and blocked the accu-trigger mechanism back so it doesn't work. One thing I dislike about this rifle and my 22 Magnum that is the same rifle is that lousy magazine release sticking down below the stock where you can accidently bump it and out goes the mag on the ground. Easy way to lose a mag when hunting. I think these gun company's are afraid they won't sell rifles if they don't throw in some tactical style items on them. Ruger 77/22's had a flush fit mag release for years and worked well and was out of the way. Mine will get the dremel tool treatment real soon. My initial thoughts about these Rugers is spend another $80 and get a CZ and that especially goes if you find a 452 left over. Here is the Predator rifle with the scope I decided to put on it.
This is how it shot at 33yds. It did not seem to like any of the sub sonic hpt ammo very well. It seemed to prefer the CCI Standard velocity ammo. One group at the lower right I was shooting aiming at a bullet hole after moving adjustments up and left. It was a little high after moving it. I then had to hold low to shoot the push pins out of the corners. The bottom left pin I kept aiming a little lower until I found the right amount to hold under. Two pins were missed on the first shot by a bullet width. Hit on the second shot. I left the adjustments right there as it was getting hard to see with the light fading.
I will give this rifle a fair chance to see how it shoots and if I don't like it I will find it a new home. :)
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ruger Predator 22LR

Post by daytime dave » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 am

Those CCI standards seem to have made it look good. The subs are a bit substandard I agree. I like shooting the pins out of the corners.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:18 am

You continue to amaze, Bandit, with your knowledge of guns, your skill working on them, and your extraordinary shooting. Another big thanks for sharing it with us.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 am

The 77/22 seems to like the CCI SV. Great shootin'.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:25 am

Sir Henry wrote:The 77/22 seems to like the CCI SV. Great shootin'.
Sorry for not making it more clear on this rifle. The 77/22 Ruger has been discontinued and this is the cheaper by far model American. About half the price of a 77/22. This one is a variation of the Ruger American and it is called the Predator. The difference is the threaded muzzle with a 18" barrel and the tactical style bolt handle. It also has the Ruger factory scope rail and the OD green stock. The Americans all have the option of changing the stock insert to high comb or standard and adult length to a youth length. They use the same rotary mag as the 10/22 semi. The disappointment so far is the accuracy of hunting ammo in it. I shot it today with the high velocity hollow points and it shot the Aguila hi velocity with the 38gr. hpt very good and not so good with Remington and I was disappointed in the Winchester Power Point and it is the Australian made stuff that is usually great shooting.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks bandit for clarifying that.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for sharing another excellent range report.
You also reminded me that it has been way too long since I took my American out to the range.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)