Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

bad crown

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

bad crown

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:43 pm

A friend stopped by yesterday with a recently purchased Rem. 540-X target rifle. He was having problems with fliers and ammo didn't seem to make any difference when changing brands. The barrel is fully free floated and they usually shoot well that way. One of mine likes the floated barrel but two of mine shoot well with a piece of bicycle inner tube about two inches back but he said he tried that with no change. I put my reading cheaters on and right away I noticed a bad nick right at the edge of the bore. So I said to him it really needs the crown cleaned up. So I got my variable drill out and my brass round head screw and my box of various grades of lapping compound and went to work on it starting with 400 grit then to 600 and a final 800 grit. The 800 is mostly like a nice smooth polishing. He called today and when I answered the phone his first words were "You missed your calling." He said " You should have done gun work. I told him " No thanks." "Don't like dealing with the public." He shot it early in nice still air and was pleased with his groups with the same ammo he had tried before with no good grouping. He had multiple targets right at a 1/4" and some at 3/8" and nothing over 7/16. He is now very happy with it and the brass screw and drill along with the compound saved him from probably trading off a very good rifle.
7 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: bad crown

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:58 pm

Good work, bandit. Sometimes it really is the little things that make all the difference.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:48 pm

I have to admit that when I saw the title my first thought was bad dental work. :D
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:30 am

My first thought as well, but good call. Glad you could tune it up for him. I had the crown recut on my PPC gun and the groups tightened up nicely.
It makes a big difference.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.