Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

XM16E1

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

XM16E1

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:54 pm

I know most of you think all I have is Henrys but that is not true. I also have several AR15's. I see them every time I reach for my Henry. I built this rifle from a Colt SP1 and it is like the rifle I carried in Vietnam. I was artillery and a rifle is a secondary weapon for red legs. When I got to nam I was issued an M14 which I trained on but after about three months we were issued M16's which I was never trained to shoot or clean.

All the M16's we were issued were used as the infantry received brand new firearms and we received old beat up ones. Each of us received a rifle that was rebuilt and it seemed all ours were different and not necessarily rebuilt to original configuration. Mine was an exception and was what I later learned an early model XM16E1.

So I built my SP1 to match what I had in nam. Some of the differences between an XM16E1 and an M16 or M16A1 are: three-prong flash suppressor, no "gate" around the mag release, no brass deflector, tri-grip forearm, early rear sight, chrome lined barrel, chrome bolt (without notches), no forward assist, no finger grip hand grip, and no cleaning kit in the buttstock. The buttstock and forearm were also the shinny ones and not matte.

The rifle I now have is semi-auto only but mine in nam went full auto or semi-auto only. It did not have the three round burst function.
DSCN1001.JPG
DSCN1002.JPG
DSCN1004.JPG
DSCN1005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: XM16E1

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for the informative post. You have a nice rifle there. So, do you know exactly or approximately when they started issuing M16's to the troops that had chrome lined chambers so they wouldn't jam while under fire from the enemy? Isn't this what they did to rectify the situation, which was a real problem when they were first issued over there? The tropical climate being the culprit and causing continual corrosion, if I remember correctly.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:21 pm

The problem turned out to be the powder the Army was using and not the rifle. Gene Stoner designed the rifle using a specific powder but the Army had Surplus WWII powder which they used. Once the correct powder was used the problem went away. When the Air Force ordered M16's they did not order them with the forward assist because they thought you were better off ejecting the jammed round and not jamming it further.

I never had a single problem with my rifle but I was shooting the correct ammo.
2 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks very much.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Interesting thought about the forward assist. My AR has obviously never seen combat conditions or even bad weather so it's no surprise I've never had an issue with mine either. I've never needed the forward assist to chamber a round.

I really enjoy my rifle and flexibility I have due to the mil-spec dimensions and readily available components.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:02 pm

As a lefty I sure enjoyed the A1 with the brass deflector.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:30 am

That's a nice build. I have to agree with the airforce, eject the problem and keep going.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member