Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Grandfather's Guns

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

My Grandfather's Guns

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:30 pm

shown below are my Grandfather's guns .... as best we can find, all were made between 1920 and 1940 .... all were mass produced, regular firearms that will never be high dollar collector's items .... that said, all are priceless to our family

top to bottom

1. a Remington Model 12 hexagonal barrel pump 22 Short/Long/Long Rifle with a fold down Lyman peep site .... it is the most accurate 22 I have ever had my hands on .... I have hit a quarter at 50 yards with it (yes, the shot was called and witnesses are available :D ) .... the fact is, I can't see a quarter at 50 yards .... it was placed in a red clay bank and I could see the a bright reflection from the sun .... it has shown it does well with all brands of 22 ammo

2. a cylinder bore Winchester Model 12 20 ga pump that was chambered for 2.5 inch shells .... he bought it used to rabbit hut with .... it throws a good hunting patter using #4 shot, fire any other size shot and the pattern will spread so wide, so quick that its really not worth using for hunting .... its stock was broken, all of its blue finish was worn down to the metal .... back in the 60's it was sent back to Winchester for a rebuild (new stock, reblued, bored out to handle standard 2.75 inch shells) .... down the road I hope to send it to Carlson and have it fitted for choke tubes

3. a Winchester Model 94 30-30 .... my grandfather took more bear and deer with it than I'm subject to ever see in the woods .... I have taken deer and one of my sons is determined to be the third generation to do so .... as shown the blue is worn off of the bottom of the receiver, just in front of the trigger guard .... the blue was worn by his hand as he carried it

4. the revolver is a S&W 38 special .... its barrel is pitted from firing shells with corrosive primers .... its blade front sight and tiny rear notch make aiming it an interesting endeavor .... it came with pearl handles which cracked and flaked away decades ago

5. the DWM 30 Cal Luger has an interesting story .... my grandfather was too young for WWI and too old for WWII ... he told me it was brought back by a friend who fought in WWI .... others in the family say it was brought back from WWII .... either way it is reported to have been taken following the taking of a French farmhouse where it took out some American lives .... the number fluctuates and may or may not be true

all of his firearms are in excellent shooting condition, the Luger could use a new clip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: My Grandfather's Guns

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 pm

All nice old guns, I especially like the model 94. I am glad to see that you still have them in the family.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos and the stories, JEBar. I love to see traditions passed on and memories kept alive within families and among friends. Your grandfather has been deeply honored by it.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the sharing on each firearm...it's really something to have that history at the ready.

Really like that 94 in .30-30 caliber...great deer hunting round.
And I like the determination of your son to keep that hunting tradition alive and on-going with this well-used, well-worn rifle.
Good for him! :)

Special Grandfather collection, and I totally agree with the value you place on it -- "all are priceless to our family."
1 x

~Пока~

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:15 pm

You are so right, JEBar. There is no way to put a monetary value on those guns, but the emotional value of them is priceless.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the memories. That's what will keep your grandfather alive for you, the memories.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:19 pm

when our sons were 9/10 years old I joined a deer hunting club that welcomed young hunters .... my goal was to give them the same type of memories I have about being part of a hunting club .... now that our grandson is 8 years old, his dad (our youngest son) is talking about wanting to do the same for him .... I can't take the cold like I used to but to help pass that type of experience on to our grandson, I'd sure give it a go
3 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 am

That's not so much a collection of guns as a collection of history and memories. Thanks for sharing that with us. ;)
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:30 am

That is a great collection. Nothing he didn't need (unlike me) and all very good game getters and home defense.

The luger has my eye. I like the stories that go along with it. It's very interesting. I've always been fascinated with the Luger and it's variants.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:19 pm

That Remington sure looks nice.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

jstraw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jstraw » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:55 pm

They are all very fine guns. I bet they all have stories to go with them. Love that 94.
0 x