Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt Lightning Pump Rifle Preservation Info?

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Colt Lightning Pump Rifle Preservation Info?

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:48 am

Thanks, Travlin!

Yeah, it would be really nice to round out a collection with a Large Frame Lightning. Probably be tough to find one that I could afford, though.

If I recall from some reading I’ve done awhile back, or a video I’ve watched in the last week, I think that there were only around 6000 of those made. I believe total production was around 190.000 total for all 3 frame sizes, with most of those .22s? I likely have my facts wrong on that, and wouldn’t mind being corrected if needed. I’ve been so busy and preoccupied with other stuff around here I can’t recall what I’ve seen lately……..I need to find a Colt Lightning Pump rifle Guru, I reckon……. :D

Like North Country Gal alluded to, I went to a Colt website last night. I found out the med. frame .38 cal pump rifle was built in 1890 by its serial number. They were made until sometime in the early (1903-ish) 1900s. The two med frames are not “the early ones”, as those just had a hole/slot in the top of the receiver for the case to be ejected through. My .32 & the .38 both have covers kinda built into the bolt that closes the slot in the top of the receiver when the bolt is forward.

Will try to get photos of the other pumpers soon………
Thanks, Y’all!
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:51 pm

I got back from the range, and decided to post some pics of the old Colt pump guns and the Winchester .22 pump.

The Winchester .22 Is on top of this pic, with the small frame Lightning in the middle, and the other medium frame .32 cal. pump on bottom.
2065C542-2A12-4F41-A153-7C9217F994CA.jpeg

To me, the tang mount peep on the .32 cal Lightning is kinda interesting. I really like the way it works and the sight picture you get with it. Like to have something like it on my H009G, I think…….
415B82F8-A682-464B-BDD4-DE60CB0F848F.jpeg

You can *barely* kinda see the Rampant Colt logo in the old bluing on this .32 cal. just slightly better than the .38. Or you might see it if I knew how to run a camera……. :roll:

D206D63B-3FE0-4130-BCE4-DB23C90A317D.jpeg
Fun guns to look at, for me. Hope y’all like ‘em. If there’s a view of something you may want a closer look at, please lemme know, & I’ll try to get it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:07 pm

Beautiful classics. Thanks for sharing.

And I also love tang peeps. Tang peeps kind of went out style in the 50s when receiver mounted peeps and scopes began to become more popular. Prior to that, a lot of classic guns were drilled and tapped on the tang for tang peep sights. Now and then you'll see some modern special editions of the old classic guns with tangs drilled and tapped for that kind of peep. Here's my pride and joy. It's a modern edition of the Winchester Low Wall 22 LR, special run of a thousand guns, made for one year in 2000. I wasted no time adding a tang peep and a globe front sight.

Definitely check out the recent post by Sir Henry on his http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14077 with a tang peep.
4 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:21 am

Wow, that looks GREAT, North Country Gal!!! 👍 Very Cool! 8-) It looks like it belonged there in the first place! 👌 I'd be justifiably proud of that rifle too!

Do you mind me asking what brand of Tang Peep that is? What kinda sight is under the front hood? Do most folks consider them “no too fragile” to hunt with?
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:22 am

A Marbles. Pretty easy to mount, since the rifle was already drilled and tapped for one. The front globe sight I added is a Lymans. It had interchangeable inserts. Actually, such a globe front sight does a better job of protecting the sight than a typical bead or blade front.

As for the tang sight, pretty durable and for carrying or when not in use, you just fold them back out of the way. Never had an issue with tangs carrying a gun out in the woods or brush. When folded, I think a tang is actually less likely to snag than the usual receiver mounted peep sight. Hey, Quigley used one, right? :)
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:17 pm

Hey, Quigley used one, right? :)
'Yeah, well this ain't Dodge City, and I ain't Bill Hickock"......... :mrgreen: :lol: Hee hee, the wife & I just "re-watched" that movie a few nights ago! Boy, nowadays, I'm more like "Ol Hank", the guy who never was exactly a "quick draw" and got shot by a sloth. See the fine print in my Far Side cartoon avatar.......

Thanks for the good info, North Country Gal! 👍 8-) I realize this is kinda off topic, but..... :)
I do have the slots for a hood on the Williams front sight ramp on my .30-30 H009G. Those hoods are mostly just used for "protection" for the front sight, be it a post, bead, or whatever, correct??? Maybe glare reduction???
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Yes, hoods on front sights are for both protection and cutting glare. Glad you added the glare part. A lot of shooters don't appreciate this function, thinking from sight hoods are just for protection. Competition bullseye shooters are very aware of this issue. The problem is that when you change the angle at which light hits the front sight, the front sight can appear brighter on one side than the other to the shooter and, yes, this can cause the shooters sight picture to change enough to cause a miss/pull a shot out of the 10 or x ring. The traditional way for handgun shooters to deal with this, since most pistols don't use hooded front sights, is to blacken the sight with soot or sight back compounds.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Hmmmm. Think I'll leave the hood off for an "excuse" kinda deal..... :lol: :roll:
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Always good to have a couple of those, handy. :)
0 x