Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rossi Stainless R92

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Rossi Stainless R92

Post by TheBackyardRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:34 pm

So, a few of years ago, I was planning out what to do once my Henry collection was complete. For all intensive purposes, the original collection I was after is complete. I looked at a 44 and a 357 magnum. I have to say that I was very unimpressed with the build quality. Fast forward to this past weekend. I took a few polymer pistols that were left in the collection and sold them to a small, semi-local shop. On the wall, he had a recent production Rossi R92 357 in polished stainless. I asked to see it.

My first impression as I cycled the lever and opened the action was, "dang, that was smooth." That prompted me to start looking the rifle over in more detail. First and foremost, over the previous Rossi lever actions, the woodwork was very well done. The stainless polish was quite good. The safety they placed on it was much smaller than it seemed in the review videos I have watched. Would take some getting used to to be quick on it but thats only because its small and in a different place than I am used to. After cycling several times, I am quite find of the action. I do not have an 1892 action in my collection.

He had it priced at $750 + tax. I told him I would think about it. He offered to bring it down $50. I think that considering what Henry's are going for these days, It was probably worth it. I have not shot one yet but I found a 20" 45 Colt in polished stainless and a 16" 44 magnum carbine for about $660 shipped, so I ordered both. I will venture to guess that my 44 magnum loads, which are pushing the upper limits of the 44, will be quite stout in a light weight carbine. I think the 20" was only 6.4 lbs. Those loads in my Henry kick about like a 45-70 gov. They are stout magnum powder loads and burn hot as heck in that octagonal barreled Henry. Two magazines and you can't touch the barrel. I generally rest it up on the rifle rack of the 4-wheeler and let it cool down a while before shooting anymore. I would guess that 1 magazine is probably enough to heat this Rossi up pretty good. We will find out soon enough.
1 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Rossi Stainless R92

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:22 pm

I have 2 Rossi rifles, one is a357 with the 24" octagon barrel, it's SS.
The other is a 45 colt with the 20"round barrel, it's blued. Both are fun and plenty accurate enough. And I do have an original 1892 Winchester in 25-20 with a 24" octagon barrel, a little bit different but I also have a Marlin 1892 in 32 colt with the 24" octagon barrel also.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:57 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:22 pm
I have 2 Rossi rifles, one is a357 with the 24" octagon barrel, it's SS.
The other is a 45 colt with the 20"round barrel, it's blued. Both are fun and plenty accurate enough. And I do have an original 1892 Winchester in 25-20 with a 24" octagon barrel, a little bit different but I also have a Marlin 1892 in 32 colt with the 24" octagon barrel also.

RP
Very nice
1 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 pm

Here ya go, didn't want to clutter up your thread, but you said it was okay. 😆

20220919_161812.jpg
Okay, far left is the 32 colt Marlin 1892, from 1899.
The Winchester is from 1912 or 13 best I've been able to figure.
Then of course the 2 Rossi's, I stripped and refinished the wood on the 357.
Also when I first got it, it wouldn't cycle well with a full mag. After some reading I found out that back then that the spring was possibly to long. So after nearly removing half of the spring, a few inches at a time I got it to cycle like a dream, 38's or 357's.
They both shoot high, I have removed the elevtors from the rear sight, the 357 is still a tad high at 50 but dead on at a 100 yds.

Be curious what you think of yours once they arrive.

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

H001, H006, H012

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:34 pm

That’s a purdy set of rifles.

And yeah, bring on the pics. I love seeing other collections. I’m pretty captivated with the lever guns, revolvers and 1911s. Doesn’t matter who makes them. I don’t know that I ever started a revolver thread in here. If not I might.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:21 pm

Well I guess I'm pretty much a levergun nut, as I own more lever actions than anything else.
Second would be single action revolvers.

RP
2 x

H001, H006, H012

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:29 pm

I bought a.357 20” round barrel 10 years ago. Always a fun day at the range. I paid less than half of what they are going for now.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:31 pm

I bought a.357 20” round barrel 10 years ago. Always a fun day at the range. I paid less than half of what they are going for now.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:19 am

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:21 pm
Well I guess I'm pretty much a levergun nut, as I own more lever actions than anything else.
Second would be single action revolvers.

RP
Yeah, I go in phases. I used to just buy anything that looked interesting, was on sale, etc. Bother and I, when we really dived in to build big gun collections, used to call each other and say, “how many you got to day? 35? I got 36!” And he’d go buy two more. Pretty soon, it was 64 and 65. Then 98 and 100, and so on. The collections just kept getting bigger and bigger.

Then one day, I didn’t see a point in having all those guns just to have them. If they didn’t represent the types of guns I really love or at bare minimum, serve a special purpose, I didn’t need them.

Used to have ARs in a bunch of chamberings, bunch of polymer pistols of all kinds. A small 1911 collection with no rhyme or reason. I sold all but 3 ARs, down to 3 polymer pistols, sold all but 2 of my original 1911 collection, thinned out my revolvers. I spent this past year rebuilding everything. The only thing I didn’t touch were my Henrys.

I’m up to 20 revolvers, 19x 1911s (all stainless now), 12 ARs (but standardized this time), 12 lever guns (split between two collections) and a whole bunch of odd and ends special purpose guns just to round things out. Those all got trimmed down to 1 or 2 favorites in each category. Rest got sold at auction. The gun collection is much smaller but definitely represents my passions more than my ego.
2 x