Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Added A New Lever Gun Today

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Added A New Lever Gun Today

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:32 pm

Living i a rural area there's not too many gun shops nearby and the selection is usually very limited. So I check out the local gun trader listing and also ArmsList for my state. Otherwise I have to travel a minimum of 50 miles to larger dealers and hope they have something interesting in their inventory. I've been looking for another lever gun in 45 Colt. Well yesterday on ArmsList I spotted a Winchester 94AE in 45 Colt by a shop about 40 miles away. So today I took a drive out to the shop and the Winchester followed me home.

I can't pin an exact manufacture date, of the carbine, since information is nonexistant for Winchesters manufactured after 1982. It appears that this rifle was made between 1992 and 2003 based on the configuration (angle eject and cross-bolt safety). The main reason this rifle followed me home was because of the overall condition. There is not a mark on either the metal or wood. The bolt face had only a one very tiny brass mark, the barrel was pristine & clean and the chamber showed a very slight powder residue. All of which could have come from the proof testing. The rifle looks like it just came out of a Winchester box.

The story behind the rifle was that it was bought by a fellow with the intention of using it cowboy shooting, but never did. The shop also had a 45 Colt single action revolver (Pietta), from the same owner, that was also in the same pristine condition. I believe both of these firearms were nothing but safe queens.

Enough back story, here are a few picture of the 94AE:

IMG_2132.jpeg
IMG_2134.jpeg

Range report to follow as soon as I can. Hoping tomorrow will work out but that depends on chores and a few other items.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Added A New Lever Gun Today

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:28 pm

Beautiful rifle. I wouldn't mind adding another lever action to the collection, but with ammo as it is today, I don't want to add new calibers I can't cover with my Dillon. Look forward to your Range report.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:54 pm

Good find, that is a great looking rifle. Are you going back. for the pistol?
2 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:28 pm

Ernie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:54 pm
Good find, that is a great looking rifle. Are you going back. for the pistol?
I'd love to add another pistol to the collection, but I think I'd be sleeping on the sofa for awhile. Besides I already have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt/45 ACP and I do love that pistol.

Paul
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:32 pm

Nice score HH, Congrats.
I love the 45 colt very fun round, I have 2 long guns, and 3 revolvers. I'm really wanting another rifle, this time a 24" barrel.
Can't wait it hear how it shoots.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:49 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:32 pm
Nice score HH, Congrats.
I love the 45 colt very fun round, I have 2 long guns, and 3 revolvers. I'm really wanting another rifle, this time a 24" barrel.
Can't wait it hear how it shoots.

RP
Thanks Randy. I'm a big fan of 45 Colt also. Not only is it fun round to shoot, but it's reasonable to reload. Helps keep costs way down. I'll post a range report ASAP.

Paul
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:14 pm

Nice rifle Paul is that one built by Miroku
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Paul, that is a BEAUT! What a find and with a semi pistol grip. Not sure we see those a lot. Very nice rifle. What's your load going to be?
Whoo whee, that is a nice one.
1 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:45 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:14 pm
Nice rifle Paul is that one built by Miroku
Al, not a Miroku. This was built by FN after they took over from USRA when they went bankrupt in 1989. It was built in the old New Haven, CT plant. Miroku came along later (2010) after FN decided to close the New Haven plant.

Paul
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:55 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:30 pm
Paul, that is a BEAUT! What a find and with a semi pistol grip. Not sure we see those a lot. Very nice rifle. What's your load going to be?
Whoo whee, that is a nice one.
Thanks Tom. That semi pistol grip is pretty rare for the 94. Most, I've seen, have the straight line rear stock. I'll let you know what load it likes in my range report. I currently have two different 45 Colt loads ready to test.

Paul
0 x