Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester Model 52

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Winchester Model 52

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 am

I went furniture shopping yesterday in Tomahawk and came across a store that sold furniture and firearms. The furniture wasn’t anything special however I spotted a Winchester 52 made in 1948. Now that I have a place where I could shoot it anytime I wanted I’m thinking maybe I should buy it. It was the International Match for $1,200.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Winchester Model 52

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:34 am

Furniture and Firearms…now that’s a great his and her shopping day. :D
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:43 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:34 am
Furniture and Firearms…now that’s a great his and her shopping day. :D
I can remember when you could buy ammo at gas stations although back then they were called service stations because they came out and pumped the gas, checked the oil and would wash the windshield.

I’m beginning to sound like my grandfather.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am

Personally, I would pass, unless you truly want a vintage Winchester Model 52 and before you buy, thoroughly research it. There were umpteen variations of the Model 52 and values are all over the map, depending on the variation. Also, a lot of these guns are labeled incorrectly by the seller, for various reasons. Definite red flag on this one, because the only listing I could find on an International Match was the 52E IM which was made only in the late 70s, not in 1948.

As for shoot-ability, triggers on the 52 are not easy to work on and good luck getting parts. Check some of our friend bandit's posts on his experiences with the 52.

For sure, do not buy it and expect it to automatically outshoot any currently made 22 target rifle. Condition of the bore will be a huge factor here on such an old gun. Some of these vintage competition rimfire target guns got heavy use. If it's accuracy you want, you can buy a current 22 target rifle that will likely shoot as well or better for a lower price and you'll have no repair or parts issues.
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:38 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am
Personally, I would pass, unless you truly want a vintage Winchester Model 52 and before you buy, thoroughly research it. There were umpteen variations of the Model 52 and values are all over the map, depending on the variation. Also, a lot of these guns are labeled incorrectly by the seller, for various reasons. Definite red flag on this one, because the only listing I could find on an International Match was the 52E IM which was made only in the late 70s, not in 1948.

As for shoot-ability, triggers on the 52 are not easy to work on and good luck getting parts. Check some of our friend bandit's posts on his experiences with the 52.

For sure, do not buy it and expect it to automatically outshoot any currently made 22 target rifle. Condition of the bore will be a huge factor here on such an old gun. Some of these vintage competition rimfire target guns got heavy use. If it's accuracy you want, you can buy a current 22 target rifle that will likely shoot as well or better for a lower price and you'll have no repair or parts issues.
Thanks. It was good to find a gun store and ask questions about buying in Wisconsin. I still have a Washington Drivers License. The woman at the shop said they will sell me any as long as I can pass the FFL check. She said there is extra paperwork for a pistol which some shops don’t know how to fill out for a resident with an out of state drivers license. I can register to vote after being here for 28 days. Can buy firearms on day 1 either as out of state or resident as long as I have one piece of paper like a utility bill or vehicle registration with a local address.

They had several new Henry Classics but no Axe and they said they couldn’t get one. They mentioned the new plant in Ladysmith is now manufacturing and the backlog should end soon.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:53 pm

From some very old Gun Digests the 52 in the target version had a 28 inch barrel and the sporting model a 24 inch barrel. . If you go on the rimfire site you might be able to find out more about them.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:32 pm

:D
Travlin wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:53 pm
From some very old Gun Digests the 52 in the target version had a 28 inch barrel and the sporting model a 24 inch barrel. . If you go on the rimfire site you might be able to find out more about them.
My “stock” broker Joanie gave it a no buy. :D
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:48 pm

If you really want a full blown 22 bench target rifle, for $875 just get a CZ 457 MTR. Nice trigger, right out of the box, easy to adjust. Got mine for $700 plus first year they were made.

As for accuracy, two consecutive groups at 50 yards.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:04 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:48 pm
If you really want a full blown 22 bench target rifle, for $875 just get a CZ 457 MTR. Nice trigger, right out of the box, easy to adjust. Got mine for $700 plus first year they were made.

As for accuracy, two consecutive groups at 50 yards.
Thanks. Im getting to where I need something more accurate to challenge my shooting. This might just fit the bill.
0 x