Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Browning BAR

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

New Browning BAR

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:14 pm

I am considering buying a .308 this year in either a lever action or semi-auto.
I am leaning toward a new BAR MK3 with a 22" barrel. I like it that they produce them in a left-handed version, and I like the idea of the semi-auto soaking up some of the recoil making it easier to stay on target.
The Henry Long Ranger in .308 is just impossible to find right now. There are some Browning BLR's available. and I have considered the Savage 95's and 99's as they seem more readily available. Any thoughts? especially on the newer BAR'S?
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Browning BAR

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:11 am

I have a BLR (takedown version) in .243. It's a very accurate rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a hunt. I've never owned a BAR so can't help you out there. I did own one Winchester 100 autoloader in .308 and the accuracy was just so-so. I did take some deer with it but not my favorite rifle. Strange the 100 is commanding some high prices on GB these days and 10 years ago you could barely give them away.
Jake
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:16 am

I'd like to help, but the only BAR experience I've had was with the old M1918A2, back in the early '60's. Nice, but very heavy, and probably not what you'd want for deer, unless you are planning to take out an entire herd from 500yds. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:00 pm

I have an early generation, Belgium made, BLR chambered for 308 .... its extremely accurate .... I've taken more big game with it than all of my other hunting rifles combined ..... I had it Mag-na-Ported, installed a Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the stock and upgraded its recoil pad .... its action and trigger pull are excellent .... in short, its a pleasure to fire .... if I was buying a new one today, I'd go with the Long Ranger and give it the same upgrades
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:43 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:00 pm
I have an early generation, Belgium made, BLR chambered for 308 .... its extremely accurate .... I've taken more big game with it than all of my other hunting rifles combined ..... I had it Mag-na-Ported, installed a Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the stock and upgraded its recoil pad .... its action and trigger pull are excellent .... in short, its a pleasure to fire .... if I was buying a new one today, I'd go with the Long Ranger and give it the same upgrades
That is a beautiful rifle! I bet it has more than a few stories to tell!
If you ever wanted to let it go there are probably a 100 folks on the forum who would get in line to take it off your hands!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:10 pm

Greyhawk wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:43 pm
That is a beautiful rifle! I bet it has more than a few stories to tell!
If you ever wanted to let it go there are probably a 100 folks on the forum who would get in line to take it off your hands!
Thank You .... it is the first big game rifle I bought of myself .... its wood has well earned blemishes from such things as literally crawling through mountain laurel thickets to get to a boar fighting a pack of hounds .... lets just say that was back during my younger and most certainly much dumber days .. :roll: .. its bounced around in a CJ5 over Smoky Mountain trails that pass for roads for many miles over several years .... in more recent times it has spent more and more time in the vault but in my mind, its still the one I'd carry without hesitation .... someday it will be passed on down the line
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:34 pm

I agree, that really is a fine looking rifled and a Belgium Browning to boot. Still something special about old Brownings.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:02 am

I have an older B.A.R. (civilian version) in .30-06.
It is an amazing rifle and I would never try to talk someone out of buying one.
0 x