Springfield M1A owners....

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Springfield M1A owners....

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Kissmybrass wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:02 pm
Awesome input all! I was kinda surprised how heavy that rifle is but it's such a sweet military weapon. I get enough kick from my 45-70 and wouldn't mind some extra weight and a good muzzle brake. The scope mount is pretty crazy like it wasn't ever supposed to have one? Did that side mount bracket come later? I'd keep it with the peep.
Mine had the side Mount and a AN/PVS-1 night vision scope that sat to the side.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:31 am

Kissmybrass wrote:
Awesome input all! I was kinda surprised how heavy that rifle is but it's such a sweet military weapon. I get enough kick from my 45-70 and wouldn't mind some extra weight and a good muzzle brake. The scope mount is pretty crazy like it wasn't ever supposed to have one? Did that side mount bracket come later? I'd keep it with the peep.
Yeah, they are a pain in the neck to put a mount on. Mine is a Springfield Gen 1 cheapie that I traded a guy at a gunshow some 30M1 ammo for. To attach the mount you need to remove the stripper clip guide and replace it with an included piece that has a hole tapped into it. Then those two huge screws you see attach into the side of the receiver with one going into the replacement piece. The newer mounts have three attachment points and are understood to be more secure. So far mine is doing fine.

No muzzle brake on these, that’s a flash suppressor you see. Almost no recoil between the weight and the gas system. Butt plate is hard plastic and I don’t feel any discomfort shooting it. Kinda like a popcorn fart compared to your 45/70 thumper. :D
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:03 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:31 am
Kissmybrass wrote:
Yeah, they are a pain in the neck to put a mount on. Mine is a Springfield Gen 1 cheapie that I traded a guy at a gunshow some 30M1 ammo for. To attach the mount you need to remove the stripper clip guide and replace it with an included piece that has a hole tapped into it. Then those two huge screws you see attach into the side of the receiver with one going into the replacement piece. The newer mounts have three attachment points and are understood to be more secure. So far mine is doing fine.

No muzzle brake on these, that’s a flash suppressor you see. Almost no recoil between the weight and the gas system. Butt plate is hard plastic and I don’t feel any discomfort shooting it. Kinda like a popcorn fart compared to your 45/70 thumper. :D
hahaha I bet. Can you brake the muzzle or not spec'd for this? Guess you wouldn't have to...
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac