Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thinning down on Marlins

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Thinning down on Marlins

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 13, 2021 9:49 am

I moved two Marlins out yesterday. Slowly getting my rifle numbers down on what doesn't get used or what caliber doesn't fit in my hunting and shooting any more. My rimfires are my main shooters and they will be much thought about how much they get shot before selling off any of them. The wife's are pretty much off the table for being sold. They are hers and she needs to have the final word on them. I wish she would decide to sell the Ruger 10/22 Target stainless model. Hope she will give in on getting that one a new home. Ammo waster as far as I am concerned.
So the two that left yesterday was my 444 Marlin and the 883 22 Mag. I really had a hard time deciding to sell the big 444 but I got a good offer and being the kicker it was I decided it could go to another owner who wants it for out of state hunting where straight wall cases are now legal. He also bought the 883 Magnum. No room in my safe for a 1" at fifty yards shooter. Tried four different ammos in it and it was not what I thought it would be in accuracy. The old backwards safety rifles shoot much better than these loose chambered rifles. Came out good with the sales as this is a good selling time. Also sold the 444 ammo. I am going to try to sell the 150+ once fired cases and the dies. Have quite a few 44 caliber jacketed bullets to move also. Don't know yet which one in my safe will be the next to go. Maybe the 336 Zane Grey or the very nice 336 Marlin SC 35 Remington made in 1960.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Thinning down on Marlins

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 am

I do understand. For sure, any cartridge like the 444 that is now essentially a reloader's cartridge is going to be hard to support. The 444 is also a favorite with Marlin folk, so not surprised it sold so fast.

The SC should also sell fast, since the SC is a now collectible version in the Marlin world.

The only 1" at 50 shooters we have is an old 550-1 Remington hubby inherited and our 10/22 SD, but they really can do better than 1" at 50 yards. They just can't compete with the best of the best bolt guns we kept.
1 x