Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New ultimate hunting rifle for cheap.

PNWguy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New ultimate hunting rifle for cheap.

Post by PNWguy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 am

I hunt in the Northwest part of the US, so my needs and requirements for a rifle are vastly different than the needs of someone who hunts in the Midwestern or Southern US.

I have lived in the Midwest for a spell and hunted whitetail deer out there, so I know what it's like.

I loved hunting in Iowa! So many deer and giant bucks in gentle rolling hills and small stands of timber. As long as you knew a landowner,hunting was literally like taking a walk in the park compared to out here.

First of all, if we see more than a couple of deer in 16 hours of hard hunting and covering dozens of square miles of rough country, then it is a good day. We will hike 10 to 15 miles of steep and rough country that no hunter from Iowa can even comprehend in order to get a shot at a decent buck. If you Google the deer density numbers per state, you will see around 16 deer per square mile in the Midwest vs. 2 or 3 in Idaho, Montana, and Washington.

Secondly, we get one deer tag per season. Period. It's not like out East where you get 2, 4, or 6 tags to fill.

Thirdly, a rifle in .30-30 or a shotgun with slugs is considered a joke in my area. Deer can be from 15 yards away in heavy timber, to 600 yards away in a clear cut area across a valley. You need a rifle that can handle both scenarios. The .30-30 lever was popular because it worked well in heavy timber areas in the Midwest. Not so well out here.

This is where I hunted for deer and elk a couple of years ago in Idaho.
IMG_20191010_070153771.jpg
I could be in heavy timber with shots out to 40 yards, max. Then hike 100 yards and be out in a clear cut with elk, deer, bear, or wolves on the next ridge over 400 yards away. So the rifle I chose to be the jack of all trades is a Ruger American Predator in .308 with a 3 x 9 Nikon P-Tactical scope.

Got it in last week and have added a light and grippy sling, the Nikon scope, an Axis Mfg, muzzle brake, adjusted the trigger down to 3.5 lbs, and a camo job. Taking it out tomorrow to a range to see what it can do with my handloads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PNWguy on Mon May 10, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New ultimate hunting rifle for cheap.

Post by JEBar » Mon May 10, 2021 8:24 am

understood .... the mountains east of Seattle are very similar to those in Western NC .... back in the late 60's to early 70's I was a member of a bear hunting club .... with very short to reasonably long shots being the order of the day, I ended up using a Browning BLR 308 .... it served well ... I miss that country but not the hiking through laurel thickets ;)
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 am

Nothing wrong with a 308 or the Ruger. I have a Savage Bear Hunter in 338 that I use in the mountains of Colorado with the same kind of conditions
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Tue May 11, 2021 6:11 am

To each his/her own. I'm thinking those conditions are not for the geriatric set! Will stick to the lower "peaks" of the Northeast.
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:28 pm

My Colorado elk hunting days are over. A bad knee and shoulder is keeping me from enjoying the high country up by Steamboat Springs (ele. 9000 ft.) and a bit lower over by Rifle (7000 ft.). I really enjoyed those hunts with my cousin and son.

Muddy Waters 67
0 x