Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Got surprised today

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Got surprised today

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 pm

After finishing up the checkering this morning on the CZ 452 "Squirrel rifle" (Scout in a Trainer stock) I put it back together. With the 2-7 Leupold Rimfire scope and aluminum rings it weighs 6 lb 6 oz. So I got my Remington 510-X out of the safe and it has a M8 Leupold straight 4X scope and is a single shot. In hunt with it for squirrel also. Well I weighed it and it weighed in at 5 lb 12 oz. So I have put together a light weight "Squirrel Rifle" that ends up nearly 3/4 lb heavier than the one I had been using. :o So I gained a few things with the CZ with it being shorter and more compact. Plus it is a mag fed repeater with a fantastic trigger. The Remington wins the out on the lighter weight. Probably very close in accuracy but the CZ would maybe come out slightly better being it is easier to shoot with the really light trigger.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Got surprised today

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:07 pm

Chisel more on the stock. :lol:
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Interesting. I've been keeping my eyes open to get a Remington 510 single shot, but all I ever see come for sale around here is the cheaper 514 version. I'm sure the 514 is a decent single shot, but I'd rather have the quality of the 510.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:30 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:59 pm
Interesting. I've been keeping my eyes open to get a Remington 510 single shot, but all I ever see come for sale around here is the cheaper 514 version. I'm sure the 514 is a decent single shot, but I'd rather have the quality of the 510.
My 510's are all 510-X models. Slimmer and shorter barrel with a 24" in stead of 25". They had the shark fin front sight and the rear similar to the nylon series rifles. Some say the stocks are more trim that the original 5-teen models. It must not be much different in the stock as I don't notice it. I can feel the weight difference in the X compared to the older ones. The X was made from '65-'67. There is a few out there that the barrel code is from '64. They were the transition rifles from the end of the standard models that started in 1939. They made the X's until the 540/580 series rifles came on the scene around mid 1967. The early year 580 series had no serial number. Not sure if the 540 Target rifles started in '67 but my 540X is dated as a 1968. The '67 and '68 580 series had walnut stocks and the small port actions. More desirable than the ones with hardwood stocks and the large port.
The 514 Remington's I had were better than a lot of other brands cheap entry level rifles. Most Remington guys hate them and don't buy them. They have the safety on the rear of the bolt. They came out in '48 and some had some really pretty walnut stocks. I had a very pretty one and a average one but both had walnut. Near the end of the run of the 514 they had hardwood stocks. Very simple design with a very easy trigger to lighten. Sorry, I got a little of subject.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Hey, I'm the one that got off topic. :) You are the expert on those Remington bolt rimfires for sure. Always enjoy you talking about them. I've learned a lot.
1 x