Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (GSR)

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (GSR)

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Early in January I put a Ruger GSR in 5.56 (discontinued by Ruger) on layaway. I was wanting a 5.56 cal non semi-auto rifle capable of shooting from a larger capacity magazine. I looked at the Mossberg MVP which used AR type mags and this Ruger GSR. There was no comparison between the two as far as feel went, the Ruger was much smoother running the bolt and just was overall a more solid platform. No digs on the Mossberg, if I didn’t see the Ruger I portably would have bought it. Another consideration was that I had an extra scout scope I got in a trade that would slap right on the Ruger.

Brought it home yesterday but didn’t get a chance to do much with it due to other stuff going on. So today I spent some time with my new buddy and tried out different scopes and magazines. The steel mag that came with the rifle is a 10 round but Ruger used the 7.62 mag and just put a plastic liner in it to accommodate 5.56. I had previously ordered a couple of Poly Ruger brand mags that are 5.56 specific and they are much shorter and in my opinion a much better balance for the rifle. I put my scout scope in it and I was very happy with how far to the rear it mounted. Looks almost like a regular eye relief scope. Then I put a 4-12x40 on it using the supplied Ruger rings. To do this I had to remove both the rear sight and the scout rail. I’m thinking I’ll leave the 4-12 on it for load devolvement as my scout scope is a fixed 2 3/4 power. But I’ll probably go back to the scout scope for plinking and (hopefully never) any defense needs. The scout scope is in quick release rings so I could remove it and use the sights if needed. I’ll try both and make my final decision after doing so. 2 3/4 power isn’t much for these old eyes of mine.

I picked up some Sierra .224 69 gr Matchking bullets that I’m going to give a try in it. I shoot the 77 gr SMK in my match bolt rifle but I’m not too flush on them and I have some matches coming up so I’m hoping this rifle will shoot the 69’s well so I can save my 77’s. I have several different match loads in factory ammo from 52 gr to 77 gr so I plan to run a few of them all and see what it likes. Subconsciously I’ll probably jerk the trigger when shooting the 77’s so I won’t choose them. :lol:

I cycled 10 rounds with the shorter Ruger Poly mag and holy cow does this rifle have a strong ejector. I placed a rag on my bench to catch the cartridges and at first they flew past it and slammed into the metal backing plate on my bench. I had to turn the rifle almost 90 degrees to land the ctgs on the rag. Happy to report it cycled great.

I’m going to post some pictures of the rifle with the two different scopes on it and the different length magazines. Your comments on what looks best are appreciated.

4299339B-D8E3-40C8-BE9A-146FCFD08262.jpeg
9D691C4A-AC0A-4CF1-B201-E223552C7361.jpeg
A03972C6-95EF-4075-A50B-29DD85DA7DB6.jpeg
CE3CDDBE-2662-4A18-8114-D65242701982.jpeg
8357AD17-1376-4209-B9EF-C609ADAEF56A.jpeg
FE817AF7-95AC-46A1-AC72-2BBD70CCA4A8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hatchdog on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (GSR)

Post by Headhog » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Nice looking setup and congrats on a fine choice. Looking at the two different scope setups I like the looks of the 4-12X, but for me that position would not work. It would be too far back from to use and I would not be able to get a proper cheek weld. I would have to pull my head back to an uncomfortable position, but this is a personal setup issue for me. The smaller scope sort of looks out of place on that rifle.

That is a great looking rifle. Good luck with it.

Paul
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:44 pm

Paul,

Thanks for your comment on the positioning of the scope as far back as it is. I don’t know if it’s just this scope but even as far back as it is i would like it to be even more to the rear. I find I have to climb up the stock to get full eye relief. Interesting, I just took this scope off my M1A because I couldn’t get it back far enough with the mount I have. I had planned to buy a different mount with more adjustment for the M1A but haven’t yet because they are so expensive. Maybe the issue is with this scope, I looked up the eye relief and it’s 3.1” at 4x which is probably 2.5” or less at 12X. Since I mostly shoot from the bench or prone I use the upper end of the magnification which condenses the ER distance. I checked the LOP on this Ruger as it’s adjustable and as is it’s 13.25 inches which seems to me to be in the standard range. I can remove one spacer and drop the LOP to 12.75” but I think that’s getting into youth LOP range. I’m 5’ 9” so average height and arm length.

Come to think of it a while ago somebody here commented on my scope placement on a Henry so maybe the ER issue is just how I mount a rifle to my shoulder. Something to work on for sure. :D
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:39 pm

Very nice. I have been thinking seriously about a Ruger American Predator in 223 as this rifle uses the AR mags. I have plenty. :-). The reviews I have read on the Predator have been excellent. Look forward to your review on the GSR.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 pm

Nice! I really like the Ruger 'M-77' series of rifles. Come to think of it, their 77/ series of rifles aren't bad either.

I recently picked up a compact .223 bolt-gun myself (CZ 527 Carbine). These short-ish barrels have quite a bark...make sure you've got your ears on.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:39 pm
Very nice. I have been thinking seriously about a Ruger American Predator in 223 as this rifle uses the AR mags. I have plenty. :-). The reviews I have read on the Predator have been excellent. Look forward to your review on the GSR.
The Predator reviews around here with the local guys have also been excellent. I considered one as AR mags are plentiful and much less expensive than the Accurate mags plus like you I have several on hand. But I wanted a shorter carbine length keeping in mind the thought that bolt and lever actions should stay off the political radar for a while. :(
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 am

roddy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 pm
Nice! I really like the Ruger 'M-77' series of rifles. Come to think of it, their 77/ series of rifles aren't bad either.

I recently picked up a compact .223 bolt-gun myself (CZ 527 Carbine). These short-ish barrels have quite a bark...make sure you've got your ears on.
Yep, I’ll be well plugged. Losing the hearing in my right ear and I blame my wife for that. She likes to talk and as we drive she is on my right side so, well you know. :lol:

I agree on the Ruger 77, I have a Mark 1 tang safety 30/06 I bought new in 1980. Love that rifle and as much as I buy/sell/trade guns that one will always stay around. Haven’t shot it in a few years and it needs some range love. It wears many scars from lots of time afield and wears them proudly. :D

Your CZ sounds interesting. I have never ventured into the CZ realm and after reading all the great reviews on this site about the Rimfires I may have to look more seriously at the brand. The last several years I have been moving away from handguns and more into rifles. I’m finding I’m running into storage problems, dang rifles take up much more room in the safe than handguns. :lol:
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 am

Looks good Hatch need a range report. I have a Ruger American in 300 BO that uses the 223 mags. Nice to have that feature where you can load 10 rounds or more in some cases. 300 BO is a fun little round and easy to load for.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:59 am

I purchased my Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in Jan 2016, mfg. the previous year. It has a synthetic all weather stock (always my preference), in .308 cal.
It came with one metal magazine, but I discovered the smaller Ruger plastic ones. The ghost ring site that was OEM had a tiny aperture that I could barely see thru, so I discovered that an XS picatinny rail had a ghost ring with a larger aperture that I could see thru. I got a Burris P.E.P.R. mount and a Burris 1 x 6 scope for it. I placed the scope further back, because I have tired olde eyes. I also bought a Yankee Hill Flash hider for it. Not that I am going to be breeching any doors or impaling any zombies, it just looks bad ass!
I only have two of the poly (smaller) magazines and would like to get a couple more, but everyone seems to be out of stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Sat May 15, 2021 12:48 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Well at the end of this month, but anyways, I FINALLY found someone who has the poly magazines in stock for my Scout Rifle. So I ordered three of them, due to arrive next week.

In a related piece of news, I also found someone who carries the H&K P30L magazines and I ordered a couple of those as well. So I am going to have a very Happy Birthday in many a year, decade, century, millennial.

In another related piece of news, I was in Scheels, Sparks, NV a few days ago and their shelves are loaded up with pistols again. I also was in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Carson City and this guy was trying to buy three firearms in one day. The limit is two/day. He ended up buying a Henry lever and a Hellcat, which seems to be currently popular. My neighbor told me his buddy let him shoot his, but he did not like it as he has large hands and the Hellcat was too small.
0 x