Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

It’s time to pass on a couple of firearms

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

It’s time to pass on a couple of firearms

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:17 am

When my dad passed away my brother took possession of his few guns as our mom didn’t want them. My brother is not much of a gun guy despite being a retired detective from the local sheriff’s dept. So he generously passed them on to me. I’ve enjoyed owning and shooting these guns but with some very distributing new firearms laws pending here in Washington State it’s time to pass these on while I still can.

First up is this 1958 Winchester M/94 in 30-30. As a kid probably around eight to ten years old I remember going with my dad when he bought this from a friend of his. I remember stopping somewhere and shooting it. I remember being impressed that he was able to hit a target, a gallon plastic jug as I recall. He then handed it to me to shoot and I recall being hesitant but shot it anyway. Don’t think I even aimed at any target.

Nest up is this Smith & Wesson M/19 4”. In the 1980’s I worked for a sporting goods distributor and we were a Smith & Wesson distributor. My dad wanted a handgun for the nightstand and I remember him and the brother mentioned above coming into my company and buying this M/19. Fast forward to about 10 years ago when my brother gave it to me. His adult son was present when my brother passed it on to me and my nephew was a little disappointed that he didn’t get it. My nephew is a gun owner so that makes sense. I remember looking at him and telling him that when I was done with it it would be his. So today is the day. My nephew lives about 3 hours away but his sister is going to visit him tomorrow so she will deliver it to him. My brother will be here this morning to pick it up. Nice to be able to do this transfer legally without any background checks. That will probably change soon.

The 94 is going to my other brother’s son who also is a gun owner and shooter. A few years ago he went shooting with me and I brought the 94 along. He thought it was pretty cool and called it a cowboy gun. I asked him if he liked it and of course he did. I told him when I was done with it it was his. He had a very close relationship with my dad (his grandpa) so it’s fitting it should go to him. We been in contact and will get together soon to pass it on. He still lives locally so that’s helpful.

It’s a good feeling to pass these on to the next generation especially to a couple of grandkids who will use and enjoy them. My dad is grinning.

E299438A-1E64-448B-BF45-38C7BEAAE16F.jpeg
E299438A-1E64-448B-BF45-38C7BEAAE16F.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 2369 times

64B9A655-0369-4B40-9EFE-510108269E48.jpeg
64B9A655-0369-4B40-9EFE-510108269E48.jpeg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
6 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: It’s time to pass on a couple of firearms

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:31 am

Nice of you to do this and I had the same thoughts here a couple years ago. I gave my wifes three children a choice of some guns I had along with a couple of step daughters. I wanted to be able to see this happen vs being in the dirt and not seeing it happen. Cool gesture on your part Hatch.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:36 am

Even tho you don’t need to do a legal transfer, yet, definitely do a Firearm Bill of Sale for both guns, both parties sign and keep in their files. Just write “Gifted to immediate family member” in the price spot. This is mainly a cover your @ss in case it ends up getting stolen and used in a crime. If you need a generic FBOS, message me and I will email the pdf to you.

If your nephew changes his mind, put me first in line for the Smith, I will meet you in Deer Park, pay the FFL fee, and take you to lunch… ;) it’s gorgeous, has it even been fired?

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:00 am

John E Davies wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:36 am
Even tho you don’t need to do a legal transfer, yet, definitely do a Firearm Bill of Sale for both guns, both parties sign and keep in their files. Just write “Gifted to immediate family member” in the price spot. This is mainly a cover your @ss in case it ends up getting stolen and used in a crime. If you need a generic FBOS, message me and I will email the pdf to you.

If your nephew changes his mind, put me first in line for the Smith, I will meet you in Deer Park, pay the FFL fee, and take you to lunch… ;) it’s gorgeous, has it even been fired?

John Davies
Spokane WA
Yes, it has been fired but only by me. Funny story, when my brother gave it to me it was pristine not even having a turn line in the cylinder. But it had this set of hard plastic ugly beat up grips on it that didn’t make sense with the condition of the rest of the gun. When I got it home I pulled the grips off and there written in electric pencil (remember those :lol: ) was my brother’s name. Apparently these were take off grips from his service revolver that he must have given to our dad. So I picked up the beautiful S&W target grips you see on it from a SGT guy at the Spokane gun show. Sadly my brother couldn’t find the box or the original grips so the collector value is shot. Thusly, so is the revolver. :lol:
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:58 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:36 am
Even tho you don’t need to do a legal transfer, yet, definitely do a Firearm Bill of Sale for both guns, ...
Good advice.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:45 pm

That's a thoughtful gesture, no matter the reason. I'm sure they will treasure them.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:30 pm

Awesome!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).