Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

More collectibles

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

More collectibles

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:32 pm

Haven't been doing a lot of shooting, but I have been adding a few amazing guns to the collection. Some will be shot and some won't, but I'll enjoy them all.

First up is another XP-100. All XPs are now getting hard to find, but this one is one of the rarer versions. It's the XP-100 Silhouette chambered in 7mm BR (Bench Rest). It was brought out in the early 80s, back when silhouette was hot.

The 7mm BR is no longer commercially loaded, but brass can still be made from its parent cartridge, the 6mm BR, which is still a very popular cartridge on the competition bench rest market, especially in the Norma variation. The 7mm BR was the prefect handgun cartridge for silhouette. It had all the power needed to topple rams at 200 yards without being brutal on the recoil. Power-wise the 7mm BR is comparable to a 30-30, but much flatter shooting and, most of all, more accurate than any 30-30 could ever hope to be. Definitely a 200 yard plus yard handgun deer cartridge.

Next up is one of the rarer vintage Rugers. This one is as new in the box, possibly unfired, Security Six in 357 mag. This is an early 70s version made a few years after the Six was introduced. The Ruger Six was Ruger's first DA revolver. At the time, the competition was the Colt Python and the K frame Smiths like the Model 19. Ruger intentionally overbuilt the Six to address some of the weakness of the competition and because of the Six's modular build, take down was much easier and, best of all, it made the Ruger more affordable than the Colt or Smith.

These Six series Rugers (Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six) rarely come up for sale because owners don't part with them and when you do see one, they are well-used. This one will not be shot. Not to worry, I have another lightly used identical Security Six to shoot and use. One in this shape with box and papers is appreciating in price rapidly.

Saving the best for last. If you treasure fine vintage German rifle craftsmanship the way I do, you'll love this one. It's a Walther KKJ with the KKJ being initials for Kleine Kalibre Jagdt, meaning small bore hunter. These were made in 22 LR, 22 mag and 22 Hornet. This one is in 22 Hornet. The KK series of Walthers were made in the 50s through the early 70s with this one being a late one made in 1970. The competition at the time was the famous Winchester 52 Sporter and the Anschutz Model 54. All three as good as it gets in a small bore rifle, but where the KKJ has the others beat is the weight and superb handling. This is a rifle you can carry all day, up and down hills and mountains.

The Burris 2-7x Compact is also no longer made, but it's such a perfect match for this rifle, I gladly payed extra for it. Note the superb tangent rear sight, too.

Ya, will shoot this one a bit or maybe just carry to around in the woods, yodeling as I go. :)

I hope you enjoyed a look at these hard to find guns. These old school guns are now part of history and disappearing fast. Glad I could share them with you.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: More collectibles

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:18 pm

Great report. I liked the Walther the most.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:51 pm

Me, too. They really don't make them like that, anymore. That kind attention to detail and finish is obsolete in gun manufacturing, now.
1 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:28 pm

Cool beans... times ten!
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:34 pm

Nice additions to your collection. Being a DA revolver fan, I like the Ruger the best. While being a Smith and Wesson collector, I have a couple of Ruger revolvers. Overbuilt is right. My Speed-six in .38spl always seemed too much gun for the caliber. While they are nice shooters, I always preferred my Smiths. I see a few Rugers now and then. If a six inch crossed my path, I'd consider it.

The Walther is superb. I've never shot that caliber.

Yodel loudly, so Gene can hear you!
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:58 pm

Certainly did enjoy the look at those fine firearms. Thank you!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed them, guys.

I really like the specialty handguns like the amazing XP, too, but that's based on so many great years of shooting them. If you haven't shot one, of course, they're a bit strange and odd looking, especially the XP. One thing I love about specialty pistols baed on a bolt action is that bolt action. No way can an exposed hammer break barrel gun match a bolt gun on lock time or lock up consistency. Big plus for accuracy.

Have always loved Remington bolt rifles, anyway, so the 600/40x action on the XP is to die for. Been shooting various Remington bolt guns from the very start of my shooting career. Love the tradition and beauty of Mauser based bolt guns, but Remington bolt guns have always been my favorites.

1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:58 pm

NCG that is one sweet Security Six ! I picked up a well used but still tight Police Security Six and it shoots really well. Had thoughts of getting it reblued.
Attachments
ruger police service six 158 gr 357 load nice.jpg
ruger police service six 158 gr 357 load nice.jpg (495.78 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:31 pm

Wow to NCG! Those are all fantastic additions to your collection. All very, very nice. I know you'll enjoy them.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:10 pm

Thanks, Tom

Forty, as I mentioned, I also have my shooter version. It's in a little nicer shape than yours and its the Security Six (adjustable sights), same as my collectible. I'm just going to shoot it and forget about it, other than routine maintenance. I think it would be a pretty easy blue job on yours, though, given how easy it is to take down.
0 x