Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 512 22 wmr input requested

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

CZ 512 22 wmr input requested

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 am

Hi all,

I have a rifle up for sale or trade on the local trader site looking for a CZ 22 lr bolt and other firearms. I have an offer for a CZ 512 22 wmr with a nice tactical Leupold 3-9x scope. Wasn’t really looking for a semi or a 22wmr but haven't had much response on my sale offer. Just wondering about this rifle and hoping you CZ folks can provide me some advice. Other than the cost of ammo I could certainly put this rifle to use shooting ground squirrels. I’m wondering about the poly lower on it. Nice that is comes with a set of the somewhat expensive CZ rings. Not crazy about a beechwood stock, the CZ bolt rifles are so good looking with the walnut stock. Here’s a picture the guy sent me and a link to the CZ page showing the 512.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-512-semi- ... ic-22-wmr/

CE8AEF0F-19FA-432B-8137-A702F06C7C9D.jpeg
CE8AEF0F-19FA-432B-8137-A702F06C7C9D.jpeg (119.74 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: CZ 512 22 wmr input requested

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:42 am

I've had two 512s in 22 LR, but not in 22 Mag.

The good is that they were very accurate, right there with the 455 22 LR bolt guns. Half inch groups at 50 yards no problem. After all, the 512s use 455 barrels.

The so so part is that the triggers are NOT comparable the CZ bolt rimfires. You can do some modding with lighter springs and so on, but mods are not simple and easy. If you can live with the trigger, though, and be patient, you'll get some very nice groups.

Another issue on one of my 512s was light strikes. I did replace a spring and that helped, but this is a known issue with 512s, so do check with the seller.

The last thing is always the 22 mag accuracy question. Buying 22 mags for me has always been a shot in the dark as to accuracy compared to 22 LR and, yes, that does include CZ 22 mag bolt guns, too. Have had some good ones and some really bad. When you find a good 22 mag, hang on to it. Again, talk to the seller if you can.

Lastly, do some homework on possible feeding issues with varmint tipped 22 mag loads. Not sure how well those would feed in a semi-auto, but it could potentially be an issue on any 22 mag semi-auto. Not an issue in my 512 22 LRs, of course, because all I ever shot were standard loads, but I'd check around on the 512 22 mags on this because varmint tipped 22 mag rounds have typically been the most accurate loads in my 22 mag rifles.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:52 am

I looked at that gun long and hard because there was one available locally. Youtube had some great videos on it. But I decided to go with the ruger American instead. Im glad I did as mine shoots wonderful. Whatever you do Hatch if you get another mag try some Remington 33gr and the Norma 40 gr. Both of those have shot lights out in the American
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:47 am

Thanks NCG and Al for your input. I have reached out to the guy twice with questions but he has not responded. He’s a new poster on the local site and probably doesn’t understand the basic courtesy’s we generally use with responses even if our mind has changed. No biggie, after I looked at the current price of wmr ammo at nearly $20 per box I’m probably going to pass should he ever get back to me. Last I had a wmr I believe I was paying around $12 per box. Cool looking rifle that has a scope I would have moved to an AR and replaced with a different scope but… :D
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:55 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:47 am
Thanks NCG and Al for your input. I have reached out to the guy twice with questions but he has not responded. He’s a new poster on the local site and probably doesn’t understand the basic courtesy’s we generally use with responses even if our mind has changed. No biggie, after I looked at the current price of wmr ammo at nearly $20 per box I’m probably going to pass should he ever get back to me. Last I had a wmr I believe I was paying around $12 per box. Cool looking rifle that has a scope I would have moved to an AR and replaced with a different scope but… :D
Hatch
If you check ammoseek the 22 WMR is alot less than that. Im there on a daily basis.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:06 am

And you will go through 22 mag ammo faster with that 512. Hard not to with a good semi-auto.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am

Thanks Al.

NCG, I was thinking the same thing, especially since the rifle came with two 10 round mags. ;)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:51 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:06 am
And you will go through 22 mag ammo faster with that 512. Hard not to with a good semi-auto.
That was one of the things that got me hooked on a Henry. I was shooting a 10/22 most of the time and was burning through the ammo. I’m a southpaw and a bolt didn’t appeal as much.

That was in 1999 and the rest is history.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:54 am

Very interesting the seller contacted me last night after several days of no response. He has 400 rounds of Armscor ammo that he will include which makes the deal more appealing to me. He told me he bought the rifle off an auction and has not fired it. He is going to take it to the range today and do a function test. I respect that he is doing that, shows responsibility. I’m leaning towards making the deal as the only other offer I have had for my rifle in a month was a Smith M/28 4”. I was interested in the 28 until I saw some pics of it, pretty beat with odd grips on it.

The scope on it is the now discontinued Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40. I have this scope on my Mini 14 and really like it. Forces me to learn about Mil-dot. If I do this trade I’ll move the scope to an AR I have that is wearing the Burris AR-332 magnified red-dot and put a rimfire scope on the CZ.

Al, I stopped into a local shop yesterday and they have the Remington 33 gr on hand for $16 ish. They also had another offering (can’t remember) for around $14 so that’s encourging.

NCG I can’t get any info from him on function other than what he discovers today. Hopefully if he has misfires he will let me know. I tried the tipped bullets when I had my Ruger American wmr and didn’t have much success with them. It really liked the Winchester hollow point, 38 gr as I recall.

Sir Henry, I hear you on the semi-auto, I much prefer levers and bolts. I do have a 10/22 and know exactly what you mean. I’m thinking this wmr will mostly be my ground squirrel gun which will keep the ammo consumption down somewhat (he says with a wink) ;)

Not to go political here so please everybody don’t expand on this but here in Washington State we have a mandatory 10 day waiting period to purchase semi-auto rifles. The law was intended for AR type rifles but all semi’s including 22’s are caught up in it. So if I make this trade the other guy will walk out of the FFL with a bolt rifle in .223 and I will wait 10 days to take a 22 home. Go figure. :roll:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:12 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:54 am
Very interesting the seller contacted me last night after several days of no response. He has 400 rounds of Armscor ammo that he will include which makes the deal more appealing to me. He told me he bought the rifle off an auction and has not fired it. He is going to take it to the range today and do a function test. I respect that he is doing that, shows responsibility. I’m leaning towards making the deal as the only other offer I have had for my rifle in a month was a Smith M/28 4”. I was interested in the 28 until I saw some pics of it, pretty beat with odd grips on it.

The scope on it is the now discontinued Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40. I have this scope on my Mini 14 and really like it. Forces me to learn about Mil-dot. If I do this trade I’ll move the scope to an AR I have that is wearing the Burris AR-332 magnified red-dot and put a rimfire scope on the CZ.

Al, I stopped into a local shop yesterday and they have the Remington 33 gr on hand for $16 ish. They also had another offering (can’t remember) for around $14 so that’s encourging.

NCG I can’t get any info from him on function other than what he discovers today. Hopefully if he has misfires he will let me know. I tried the tipped bullets when I had my Ruger American wmr and didn’t have much success with them. It really liked the Winchester hollow point, 38 gr as I recall.

Sir Henry, I hear you on the semi-auto, I much prefer levers and bolts. I do have a 10/22 and know exactly what you mean. I’m thinking this wmr will mostly be my ground squirrel gun which will keep the ammo consumption down somewhat (he says with a wink) ;)

Not to go political here so please everybody don’t expand on this but here in Washington State we have a mandatory 10 day waiting period to purchase semi-auto rifles. The law was intended for AR type rifles but all semi’s including 22’s are caught up in it. So if I make this trade the other guy will walk out of the FFL with a bolt rifle in .223 and I will wait 10 days to take a 22 home. Go figure. :roll:
Hatch
Thats a deal on the Remington ammo. Wish I was there I would buy as many as they would sell me. The Hornady ammo vmax shot good in my mag but not like the Remington and the Norma did. Im curious about the 30 gr CCI ammo and if I run across a box I will buy one to try.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55