Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New S+W mp 2.0 .40

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

New S+W mp 2.0 .40

Post by PJM » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:49 pm

Just ordered .40 cal S+W compact. Bought some ammo for it at 50 rounds for$29.95. May have to start reloading for it at these prices. Always shied away from reloading for automatic pistol calibers due to headspace criticality and light crimps. Any thoughts from the experts?
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New S+W mp 2.0 .40

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:19 am

I have reloaded for years, and one thing I did was to buy case check gauges for each caliber I reload for. Simply drop a loaded round in the gauge, if it sits flush, you're golden.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/handgun ... 25548.html

To insure the crimp is tight enough to avoid setback of the bullet in the case, I load a test round during setup. No primer, no powder. This can be used to check overall length, headspace, and crimp. To check the crimp, I place the bullet on a clean flat surface and press hard on the bullet. It shouldn't move. Everything passes, I save the sample for future setups.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:33 am

Thanks for that great info.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:12 am

Another test is to use what’s called the plunk test. Remove the barrel from your pistol and use the chamber to test your headspace. Simply drop the cartridge into the chamber and see if it seats properly. Best bet tho is to get a check guage as BOM suggested. I’ve loaded hundreds of 9mm and 40 S&W on a Lee Turret press using the Lee Factory Crimp Die and have had 100% success doing so. I’m set up to load 10mm and 45 acp but I’m still burning up my supply of factory ammo.
0 x