Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

FEG High Power clone help

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

FEG High Power clone help

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:38 am

Washington State recently passed a “high capacity” magazine ban limiting mags to 10 rounds or less. This law goes into effect on 7/1 and any mags currently in our possession will be grandfathered.

Interestingly, I don’t currently own a double stack handgun. I’m kind of a metal frame semi auto kind of a guy and my semi’s are all less than 10 rounds or in the case of my Ruger MK IV right at 10 rounds. So thinking I should have a higher capacity handgun but wanting to stay with my metal frame preference I offered an old Ruger M/77 I have up for trade for a Browning High Power clone, Beretta 92, CZ 75B etc.

I have a guy who has offered an FEG HP clone and I don’t know anything about FEG. I did a little reading online and they seem to be generally well reviewed. It looks like there are a few different models and I reached out to him for more info. Meanwhile, anybody on here have any experience with one of these? Or, any thoughts to share?

Appreciate any help you may have for me.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: FEG High Power clone help

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:52 am

I am not a FEG guy. I have several high powers. I would look at the Tisas regent, the new Springfield armory HP before I went FEG. I know it isn't a straight trade, but all theFEG's I have handled have been hit or miss.

Part of the issue with high powers is that they only have one space for locking up, the lugs on the barrel. There is no link or fitting off the breech block to secure it. So you have to look very closely at barrel hood locking lugs and the slide. Most of these surplus guns (Israeli) have had a crap ton of +p and heavy 147 subs put through them. This rounds the edges of the locking lug surfaces over. When the surfaces are rounded over, you can have the gun slip out of battery during firing. No, it isn't common, but it does happen. There is no way to fix it once the rounding over happens.

This is part of why the 40sw version changed. It went from forged to cast frames and added a second locking lug to the slide and barrel hood.

Another handgun to consider is the ruger p85/p90. They are tanks, don't break and you can get 10 round mags if Wa decided to go back on grandfathering.

CZ p75, iwi/imi 941/941f would be another excellent option to pick up. again, will last forever and both use commonly available mags, parts etc.

Ruger P85MKII
Jericho 941F

This is a CZ, built off a 75, but my only CZ with my beretta 92x pro

My high powers,
Ted Yost, Estate sporting limited

Top right Fletcher custom pistols BHP in 40sw and 357 sig.

If you want more guns, almost any beretta 92 series, or sig P series pistol would be lighter and excellent choice.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:31 am

Thanks DsGrouse for both the information and the wonderful pictures of your pistols. Those are some beauties and I’m :mrgreen: with envy. There is a Tisas Regent for sale on our local trader page but it’s out of my budget. It is a good looking pistol.

I spoke more with the guy who had the FEG and he sent me some pictures. I expected a beat up pistol like the pictures I have seen online, especially on GunBroker. But it looks to be in great shape at least externally. He’s leaving town for a week so we have tabled discussion for now.

Here’s a pic of his FEG.

68DC80AA-6FD3-43FF-98C8-923A95854F8C.jpeg
68DC80AA-6FD3-43FF-98C8-923A95854F8C.jpeg (362.6 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:36 am

Check the locking lugs on the barrel and on the slide. they should be sharp 90* angles. if there is a roundness to any of them, pass.

If it is good to go, then stick with standard pressure 115 and 124 grain ammo. Skip the subsonic, +p, +p+ and the nato stuff.
0 x