Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need Revolver Input

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Need Revolver Input

Post by PJM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:43 am

Ruger fan as they are reliable and overbuilt. Gp100 in stainless would be my choice. Put close to 1000 rounds through mine without a hitch. Both single and dbl action.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 am

You cant beat a GP-100 for durability and I have owned both the GP-100 and the Smith and Wesson 686. Ive also owned the Model 66 Smith. Nothing wrong with either one of them its all a matter of what you like. For me I just like the looks of the Smiths better and I think they have a better trigger.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:00 am

I did rent a 7 shot S&W686 .357 at a CO range and was impressed. The extra round is nice.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:11 am

Like most have commented I too am partial to S&W’s. I’ve owned several over the years both K frame and L frame. I don’t know about current production but older K frames (M/19, M/66 etc.) had issues with sustained fire with hot 357 loads. As I recall there was both forcing cone and top strap problems. However, a steady diet of any 38 special load with some limited 357 shooting will keep these fine revolvers running for generations. Seems like that at one time I read some comments on avoiding 110 grain bullets when shooting .357.

If you decide to move away from .357 the S&W K frame 22lr revolvers are pretty incredible to shoot.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:44 am

in 357 revolvers I've owned a Smith, Ruger and Dan Wesson ... my preference is a Ruger GP 100 ... ours is designed to allow spring changes that allow easy adjustments to trigger pull and smoothness of operation
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:09 am

I am a big fan of revolvers. You'll likely find you shoot slower, are less likely to burn thru your ammunition, and once you master the double action trigger pull and "stacking" the trigger, will be able to shoot quickly and accurately double action, without "rushing" the shot. :) I "thought" I knew how to shoot when I left the Corps, having shot expert with both Rifle and Pistol multiple times and shot in competition in the Corps. Then I was invited to shoot PPC by a Distinguished Master Class Police Sergeant who built and ran the Department Range for more than a decade before returning to patrol. I learned how little I knew about shooting a handgun. Over the years, the Sergeant and the other shooters taught me how well you could shoot a handgun at 50 yards. 8-) I wish you luck on your selection.

vpra excellent downrange view.jpg
vpra excellent downrange view.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:16 am

Don't dismiss the S&W Model 14. If you're just plinkin you can't beat the weight and balance. Several on GB used at favorable prices. I'd suggest the 6" barrel. That's what I have and love it. I even carry it once in a while in my rotation. I had it on my belt the last two days as a matter of fact. Just changed to my Ruger GP100 4" .357 this morning.
Jake
Attachments
14.jpg
14.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:30 am

Correct on the hot 110 grain 357 loads. You will get unnecessary flame cutting with the shorter bullets and really no need for them, anyway. Accuracy is better with the heavier bullets and the 158 grain bullets are still my favorite. The 357 was designed around the 158s.

As for 357 revolvers, I've owned nearly all of the major brands, plus a couple of lesser known brands, both double action and single action. For sure, we can talk in general terms about one brand being better than the next, but in my experience, nothing beats a good inspection as to trigger, correct timing and alignment, fit and finish and so before you plunk down your money. I've seen some really bad examples in all brands, though some brands are better than others as far as how lemons leave the factory.

What I do not recommend, then, is taking a gamble and buying sight unseen. Make no mistake, all major brands to some extent now use the crank ''em out in big numbers, then customer service to clean up the mess" business model.

As for single action or double action, you need to consider how you will be using the revolver. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. If you do go double action, I would recommend that you learn to shoot in DA. It doesn't make much sense to me why someone would go with a double action revolver and then only shoot it in SA mode, other than the speed of reloading. Make no mistake, shooting in DA takes a lot of practice to become proficient. If you do shoot a lot in DA, then all the more important to check a double action revolver for its DA trigger before buying. Most DA revolvers have useable SA triggers out of the box, but the out of the box DA triggers can be all over the map as far as usability. I've seen some new double action revolvers with such bad out of the box DA triggers that they were double action in name, only.

As for me, I'm still a cowgirl at heart. My first handgun, ever, was a single action revolver and to this day, I still prefer the simplicity and ruggedness of the single action. Over 50 years of using revolvers, everything from 22 LR to 454 Casull, I've had far fewer reliability issues with single actions. My handgun hunting days were all single action revolvers and when I've carried guns in the woods for protection against 4 legged varmints, I'm totally comfortable going single action.

We recently sold off most of our powder burning guns, keeping only our favorites. My husband kept his two favorite double actions, but I saved only my favorite single actions. As for a 357 revolver, these work just fine for me. Top is a Cimarron/Pietta Frontier 357 Colt and bottom is a Taylor's/Uberti 357 Colt. Nothing beats a Colt single action for balance and handling, nothing, not to mention looks. :)

3 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:01 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:11 am
Like most have commented I too am partial to S&W’s. I’ve owned several over the years both K frame and L frame. I don’t know about current production but older K frames (M/19, M/66 etc.) had issues with sustained fire with hot 357 loads. As I recall there was both forcing cone and top strap problems. However, a steady diet of any 38 special load with some limited 357 shooting will keep these fine revolvers running for generations. Seems like that at one time I read some comments on avoiding 110 grain bullets when shooting .357.

If you decide to move away from .357 the S&W K frame 22lr revolvers are pretty incredible to shoot.
I remember reading something about that. But, I don't shoot mine as often as a service revolver might be shot. So, I have not observed that yet (90~, K frame). Yet, it is a reason why lots of S&Ws were purchased by law enforcement agencies for years (cost, or availability, or reliability, or accuracy?). Nonetheless, I figure that I am not in bad company.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:25 pm

I have a New Vaquero in .45, i shoot it strong hand and try to practice shooting weak hand. I shot it 1 time with both hands.
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco