Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger 10/22 trigger improvement

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Ruger 10/22 trigger improvement

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 am

Recently I sent my 10/22 trigger to Brimstone Gunsmithing located in Camas WA and wow, what a difference. Of the three levels of improvement available I selected the least expensive tier. Cost was $45.00 but with shipping both ways and tax my total was $73.00. This price is about or maybe just a little more than you would pay for a Ruger BX-25 replacement trigger. However, I feel that my modified trigger is better than the two Ruger replacement triggers I have been able to try. Plus, with the modification Brimstone includes modifying the bolt so it will release by just pulling back on the charge handle like most other semi auto 22’s. A very nice touch indeed.

The trigger was returned with a note from the gunsmith who worked on it and he noted that it broke at 2 lbs, I had requested what they call the sweet spot. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge but I do have a second 10/22. I laid them side by side on my bench and tried the triggers. The modified had a small amount of very smooth take up and a nice crisp break. The other rifle with a standard trigger had a long gritty take up with a monstrous break of who knows how many pounds. The difference is unbelievable.

I’m hoping to make it out to the range later this week and I’m looking forward to giving it a try in a real world scenario.

http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/tier-3- ... gger-work/
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Ruger 10/22 trigger improvement

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 am
I’m hoping to make it out to the range later this week and I’m looking forward to giving it a try in a real world scenario.
looking forward to your report .... one of our sons has multiple 10-22's and has worked on their triggers .... as you note, the results can be dramatic
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Cool, that sounds like a great option. However, if you just buy the BX trigger, which is actually pretty nice, you can take it out when you sell the gun and reuse it, or sell it separately, Nobody wants an old factory Ruger trigger assembly. Or when you have a warranty claim. You will have a problem if you send the gun back for warranty work with your ‘smith tuned trigger. Ruger might put a stock one back in.....

My BX trigger is around 3 pounds, with a nice break, though it sure ain’t a target trigger..... my 10/22 is a SS Takedown with Backpacker stock, and a 17” threaded barrel. It is a plinker/ truck gun, an the BX trigger is perfect for that.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

I have several of the Brimstone triggers in all three tiers and think they are great.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 pm

So you can just send the trigger assembly to Brimstone. Is that right? We did the BX thing with our mid-80s SD and it is definitely an improvement, but I would like to have a trigger job done on the original, since it is a metal one.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 pm
So you can just send the trigger assembly to Brimstone. Is that right? We did the BX thing with our mid-80s SD and it is definitely an improvement, but I would like to have a trigger job done on the original, since it is a metal one.
NCG,

Yes, I pulled the trigger assembly out and mailed it to Brimstone. I took another look at my receipt from them and their charges for the work, tax and return shipping was $63. It cost me around $5 to ship my trigger to them so my total cost was around $68 not the $73 as originally stated. Hoping to get to the range this week to give it a try. Check the website, I believe I read somewhere that they have better results with the poly triggers than the metal.

John,

That’s a good point, thanks for mentioning it. From time to time I see factory 10-22 triggers on guntrader for cheap as like you said, nobody wants them. I might grab one next time I see one available but in the meantime if I have to send my rifle in for warranty work I’ll swap triggers with my other 10-22. The rifle I had the trigger worked on is a little bit above the run of the mill 10-22. It’s the sporter rifle version with I believe the 18” barrel, a checkered French Walnut stock with the red rubber butt pad and no barrel band. No sights either which was a bonus for me as I can only shoot scoped rifles accurately any more. :roll: :roll: I put a Leopold Freedom 2-7x Rimfire scope on it and now with the improved trigger I’m thinking it’s just about where I want it. :D

EDIT: I looked up my 10-22 and it’s a 20” barrel, not 18 as noted earlier. Here’s a link to it. I bought it at my LGS and I don’t recall what the price was but considerably less than the MSRP shown.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RU1022RCAB
0 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Looking forward to range report, I Sent my takedown model trigger to New hornet customs also with great results. However the 10-22 has been a dust collector since I received a GB 22lr on my birthday.
1 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:16 am

Oldbrass wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:32 pm
Looking forward to range report, I Sent my takedown model trigger to New hornet customs also with great results. However the 10-22 has been a dust collector since I received a GB 22lr on my birthday.
Here’s my report on the 10/22. Unfortunately it’s mixed in with two other rifles but it’s there. :D

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10271

I’m really happy with the trigger work Brimstone did for me.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:01 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 pm
The guys here that are into 10/22's tell me the metal ones don't actually come out better after the work is done. Many claim the tolerances are better on the synthetic trigger parts and housing. I am out of the 10/22 mode. Didn't take long for me to get over them. Bolt actions are still my favorites.
When I bought the BX trigger for the Target model I had a chance to test the pull weight on at least four. I chose the lightest one and lucked out and got a 2 lb. 2 oz. one that after a little polishing it was a little under 2 lb. and very crisp.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 pm

^^^^^^

Brimstone’s website states they have much better success with the poly triggers than they do with the original metal triggers.
0 x