Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

22mag Technical Matter -- Need Advice/Info

edluker365
Tenderfoot
United States of America

22mag Technical Matter -- Need Advice/Info

Post by edluker365 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:11 pm

I recently bought a new 22mag pump (H003TM) online. When I got the rifle it was very difficult to work the pump action. No problem, I thought, so I added some oil and cycled it with and without bullets many times. It didn't seem to loosen up the action so I decided to completely disassemble the rifle, clean it thoroughly, slightly hand polish any moving parts that seemed to be rough, relube it and reassembled it. The reassembly was a bit complicated because the Henry instructional video is for a .22 LR, not a 22 mag. There are differences with the carrier feed lever. Plus the owners manual is for the .22 LR, not the 22 mag, and there are discrepancies between the parts diagram and the list of parts in the owners manual. No big deal, I've been tinkering with guns for several decades and think I figured out the feed lever matter. It can only go in one way. Anyway, after reassembling I noticed something with the rifle that is clearly a problem. Not sure if it was like this new, or I did something to cause it: The action only locks tight in battery when the action is pumped back and then forwards, leaving the hammer cocked back. If I let the hammer down all the way (without firing) or put it at the half-cock/safe position, the action is no longer locked forward and it slides back about 1/8 of an inch or further from internal spring pressure. The pump release hangs loose unless the hammer is in the cocked position from cycling it back. The rifle will cycle with bullets with no issues on feeding. It's just that the action will not stay locked forward unless the hammer is all the way back, so at least it won't fire unless in full battery. I've watched the instructional video three times, and disassembled/reassembled the rifle three times. Same problem every time. Going through the steps in the instructional video, there aren't any missing parts.

I called Henry and they said I could return the rifle under warranty, but I'd rather not do that. Over the years I've completely dissasembled/reassembled dozens of guns with no issues: pistols, revolvers, shotguns, rifles, nearly every type of gun imaginable. I'd rather solve the problem with the Henry myself and not send it back.

Anyone have similar issues? If so, how did you resolve? Is there some trick during reassembly that maybe I'm missing?
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: 22mag Technical Matter -- Need Advice/Info

Post by Ernie » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:47 pm

Have a 22LR but mine does not do that. Have not disassembled mine so I can't help. Sorry.
0 x

Charlie
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: 22mag Technical Matter -- Need Advice/Info

Post by Charlie » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:54 am

I just ordered one yesterday. I'm hoping and expecting it to be as flawless as my X .45 Colt.
0 x