Henry U.S. Survival Rifle AR-7 - Myths and Rumours

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Re: Henry U.S. Survival Rifle AR-7 - Myths and Rumours

Post by armycat » Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 pm

MYTH AND RUMOUR 3 - POI Shifts with Barrel Temperature

Comments from forums include "my plastic coated barrel is obviously designed for one or two accurate shots. After that heat takes a toll on accuracy", "My experience is after 7 or so rapid shots the barrel heats. This causes the Grouping to open up much more" and "when the polymer barrel heats up it starts to warp and will walk rounds right off the target.

These comments seem to be true. To test this I fired an 8 round group at a target. Shots were rapid. I marked the bullet holes in the target with orange dots. I then fired nine 8 round groups at the nine targets. The last group was fired at the first target with the orange dots. The nine groups were fired as fast as I could refill magazines, the first 72 rounds in 4 min 10.47 sec, the second 70 rounds plus ejecting two Misfires in 4 min 8.53 sec. I marked the bullet holes with orange stickers with black X on them. I then allowed the barrel to cool and fired a final 8 round group at the first target.

The first photo is the first group. The second photo the orange stickers covering the first group and the ninth group. The third photo is the first and ninth group covered with the orange stickers and the tenth group. The fourth photo is the complete target before the final cool barrel group was fired.
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG (45.86 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG (47.69 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2934.JPG (81.92 KiB) Viewed 2841 times

Group size seems to have opened up and shifted to the right but trying to maintain speed degraded marksmanship so some of this could be the shooter not the firearm.

I think I will try this in a different format to see if the results are different. I'll shoot a slow well aimed group, then four fast mags off target to heat the barrel. Then another slow well aimed group. Four more fast mags off target to heat the barrel more followed by a final well aimed group.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 02, 2020 6:15 pm

looking forward to your report, it should be interesting
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Mon May 04, 2020 10:57 pm

MYTH AND RUMOUR 4 - The Breech is Polymer/Plastic

Ok, I don't know it this is a rumour, an unclear explanation or another change in the rifle design. I read two posts where the writer claimed that the breech was made of polymer or plastic. When a failure to eject occurred and the rim of the cartridge case was pushed into the breech it damaged it and eventually caused enough damage that the bolt would not go fully home.

On my rifle the breech end is metal. There are three round spots where the polymer is visible through the metal on the breech face. It would be possible for the cartridge case rim to hit these polymer spots. I have fired 3978 rounds through my rifle and had 87 failures to eject. I did not track the types of failures to eject, some the of empty cartridge cases were pushed back into the chamber, some were wedged between the breech face and the bolt and some resulted in a stovepipe. So far there is no noticeable damage on my barrel.
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG (27.93 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
IMG_2941.JPG
IMG_2941.JPG (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
The Armalite and Charter Arms variants had aluminum barrels with a metal barrel liner. I do not know what the barrels were like on the Survival Arms or AR-7 Industries variants.

If anyone has a polymer or plastic barrel with a different breech than shown in my photos could you post a photo and list the manufacturer and model number of your rifle?

I contacted Herny Repeating Arms to see if the could provide me with a list of variations but they were unable to provide any information.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 pm

MYTH AND RUMOUR 5 - Full Auto When Dirty

Posts include "I found out that if you use dirty ammo the AR-7 can go full auto in as little as 200 rounds without cleaning" and "it would occasionally give you bursts but that was after shooting and crap built up in the receiver".

I can't get mine to due this. First time I fired 1013 rounds without cleaning the rifle. This included 80 rounds from the ranges misfire box. The ammunition was dirty and covered in powdered rust from the inside of the container.

The last session I fired 754 rounds without cleaning the rifle. On the last range trip I had a couple of light strikes. I cleaned the rifle and for the first time removed the firing pin. Prior to removing it the firing pin would move forward and backward with some resistance and would not move side to side. After cleaning in moves forward and backward easily and has some side to side movement.

I think it would be possible to build up enough carbon between the firing pin and the bolt that it could jam in to forward position causing a slam fire as a new cartridge is loaded into the chamber. I don't think the trigger and hammer engagement could be affected. There has never been that much carbon or debris in the receiver.

Photos are the carbon build up on the firing pin and the firing pin and bolt. The firing pin retaining pin can be removed with a 1/8" punch and put back in with a roll pin punch. The retaining pin does not need to be completely removed.
IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG (38.87 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
IMG_2946.JPG
IMG_2946.JPG (23.4 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

Video on how the AR-7 works.(Not my video)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7_52-vpOc
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm

MYTH AND RUMOUR 6 - Firing Mechanism Wears Out.

Posts include - "I've heard the action wears out easily in these weapons. As such, I've always heard never use it as a plinker." and "the firing mechanism inside is famous for wearing and starting to double or triple when fired."

I guess this depends on what your definition of easily is. I have now fired 4260 rounds through my rifle. I cleaned it last week and disassembled the firing mechanism (trigger, trigger pivot pin, hammer and hammer pivot pin). I was surprised how little wear there is on these parts. The trigger finish has worn off where it rubs on the receiver. The pivot pins have lost the finish on the ends and the bolt has lost quite a bit of its finish. There is no significant wearing visible where the trigger and hammer engage each other. The hammer is shiny where it contacts the firing pin and there a tiny amount of peening on the hammer. Not enough to see but could be felt when rubbing a finger across it.

Everything is intact and functioning and nothing is close to being worn out. I have never experienced a double or triple.

The threading on the receiver where the barrel nut threads on are still strong. Not sure how many times I have assembled and disassembled the rifle.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 12, 2021 10:25 am

thank you for your continued reporting .... Henry's AR-7 is clearly a fine product
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sun May 16, 2021 12:50 pm

MYTH AND RUMOUR 7 - The Henry U.S. Survival Rifle (AR-7) Floats

In my experience it does not float. When I first purchased the rifle I tested it in a tub of water. It was basicallly under water in 21.42 seconds. By comparison I tested my Charter Arms AR-7 and the stock sank butt down but several inches of the stock where it joins the receiver remained above the surface for 30 minutes before I got bored and stopped timing. Both rifles were tested with the components stowed in the stock.

Yesterday I tried the Henry again. I filled a tub with water. The tub was large enough that the rifle would be able to sink in any orientation. The rifle was stowed in the stock with two magazines. I placed the stock on its side on the waters surface and started timing. The stock rotated 90 degrees and then started sinking butt first. At 48.53 seconds it was completely submerged and would have kept sinking if I had deeper water. When I removed it the stock was completely full of water.

I think it would float longer assembled because it would float barrel down trapping more air against the butt cap. If I can find a suitable body of water I will try it. With the rifle stowed all the weight is at the butt end which causes the butt to sink first and all the air comes out where the hole for the bolt which attaches to the receiver is.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 pm

I broke the 5,000 round mark. At 5,138 rounds today. The action is broken in and the rifle is running more reliably with lower velocity ammo around 1050 fps. Copper plated ammo works best and CCI Mini Mags are my go to ammo. Mostly 36 gr CPHP only because that is more common than the 40 gr CPRN.

Failure rate is hovering around 5.2%. Today I had 8 misfires, 7 of which fired second try. One wouldn't fire. 50% were the first round where I manually operated the bolt to chamber the first round. It's been 408 rounds since it was last cleaned and there is a think layer of carbon on the breech face. I'll give it a good cleaning and see if the misfires go away. By comparison my 10/22 failure rate was 2% today but it was cleaner to start with and failures were FTFs.

Tried some CCI Clean 40 gr Poly Coated Lead Red Round Nose. 50 rounds, no FTF or FTE but 4 on the misfires were with this ammo.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:28 pm

It's been almost a year but hit 6,056 rounds today. The failure rate is about 4.9% for all FTE, FTF and misfires. Nothing has worn out and no parts have broken yet.

The failure is probably higher than what is should be due to high round counts without cleaning, some questionable ammo being run through it and some of the other tests I have done on it. None of my other rifle have been thrown down ice fishing holes to see if the float, left outside at -40 overnight to see if the cold causes parts to break when fired or spent days sitting on the bottom of a boat hull bouncing around with other gear.

A U.S. Survival rifle that is properly broken in and cleaned every 100-200 rounds would likely have a much lower failure rate.
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:23 am

MYTH AND RUMOU 8 - You can't clean a U.S. Survival Rifle with solvent because the plastic will melt.

This may or may not be true depending on what you consider to be solvent. Acetone would certainly do damage to the ABS parts of the rifle. Not sure about Varsol.

I use a lot of Hoppes No 9 solvent when cleaning most of my firearms and it has never done any damage. I have also used liquid Wipeout, aerosol Wipeout, M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner, Oil and Solvent with no adverse affect.
0 x