Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AR-7 Henry Survival Rifle Sight Clarification

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
Richard677
Tenderfoot
United States of America

AR-7 Henry Survival Rifle Sight Clarification

Post by Richard677 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm

After just buying a new survival rifle to keep with me in my truck and pack when I go to my cabin in the mountains I cleaned it up good and shot 16 rounds of 40 grain Winchester T-22 Match through the two magazines. Shot really well and had decent groups off-hand just checking function. I kind of like the rear peep sight and the orange front blade. Having read the Henry manual regarding cleaning and ammo use and the safety features, etc. I didn't see anything mentioned about the sights and their adjustments other than windage for the orange front blade. Unless I missed something I didn't know anything about the rear peep until I saw a youtube video here on this site explaining how you can swap the peep hole between two different sizes or you can take the peep holes off all together and have a ghost ring. Did I see that correctly? Looks like you can have 3 different sight pictures by taking off the one screw at the rear peep and change over to one size hole or the other or make a ghost ring by taking it off completely. Is this correct? Would someone explain the benifits of different size peep holes versus the ghost ring please. I'm approaching 70 years old and so far the factory peep sight whatever size it is shot right nice but if I can improve my sight picture for better groups I'm all ears. Thanks so much Richard.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: AR-7 Henry Survival Rifle Sight Clarification

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Wish I could help Richard...good questions. Hopefully NCG will see your post and clarify this for you.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Richard, North Country Gal recently posted this comment about peep sights that seems to answer your question:

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 027#p99297
Richard677 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm
After just buying a new survival rifle to keep with me in my truck and pack when I go to my cabin in the mountains I cleaned it up good and shot 16 rounds of 40 grain Winchester T-22 Match through the two magazines. Shot really well and had decent groups off-hand just checking function. I kind of like the rear peep sight and the orange front blade. Having read the Henry manual regarding cleaning and ammo use and the safety features, etc. I didn't see anything mentioned about the sights and their adjustments other than windage for the orange front blade. Unless I missed something I didn't know anything about the rear peep until I saw a youtube video here on this site explaining how you can swap the peep hole between two different sizes or you can take the peep holes off all together and have a ghost ring. Did I see that correctly? Looks like you can have 3 different sight pictures by taking off the one screw at the rear peep and change over to one size hole or the other or make a ghost ring by taking it off completely. Is this correct? Would someone explain the benifits of different size peep holes versus the ghost ring please. I'm approaching 70 years old and so far the factory peep sight whatever size it is shot right nice but if I can improve my sight picture for better groups I'm all ears. Thanks so much Richard.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MarkB » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 am

I ordered an extra rear sight from Henry and drilled out the peep holes with a 1/8" and 3/32" drill. I had difficulty with the stock peep hole sizes and needed larger holes. Worked just fine. I'm looking at putting a fiber optic front sight on the AR7 but it dies not have a standard 3/8" dovetail. It is a smaller dovetail that is also deeper than a standard dovetail. This means a lot of filing to get a fit.
0 x
NRA Benefactor, USCG '63-'67, GM-3, Fifth District

jkrijt
Wrangler
Netherlands

Post by jkrijt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Maybe you could find someone with a 3D printer to design and print a 'custom' front sight for you. (my son could but we live in the Netherlands so it is not very practical)
1 x
Jan from The Netherlands
- Henry "Small Game" .22lr
- A few CZ rifles and a pistol
- Uberti Cattleman revolver
- Two Diana Air rifles, one in .17 (it is from 1974) and one in .22 (also old)

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MarkB » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm

I'd like to try the fiber optic and I'm retired so I've got the time to do the filing. The ship from the Netherlands would be high. (I think).
0 x
NRA Benefactor, USCG '63-'67, GM-3, Fifth District

guymalloc
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by guymalloc » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:39 pm

AR7 dot COM has an all black plastic replacement for the orange front sight on the Henry AR-7. It can be drilled slightly on the back side with a small drill bit, and filled with white paint. Works great with the ghost ring rear when the peep hole plate is removed.
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Being able to swap between the small and large peep sight makes sense to me and allows some adjustment for different vision or light conditions. Removing the peep sight completely to use the housing as a ghost ring does not make a lot of sense to me. The large ghost ring may allow rapid target acquisition the large size would like degrade any potential accuracy and potentially defeat the main purpose of the rifle.

I painted a thin white line across the peep sight and the receiver. When I remove the peep sight and reinstall it I line up the white line on the sight with the white line on the receiver and the sight is returned close to zero. I have only done this with the large diameter peep sight as I don't use the smaller one.

Removing the peep sight is also handy for bore sighting and optic.
0 x