Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AR7 magazine innards

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
guymalloc
Tenderfoot
United States of America

AR7 magazine innards

Post by guymalloc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 am

Just wondering if anyone has opened up an ar7 magazine, to clean it, or fix a weak spring or fix a follower. Mine are all new but getting dirty as they are used. I read to wash in gas or solvent, shake out and let dry, but the floor of the mags looks to be just folded in, could be opened?
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Re: AR7 magazine innards

Post by armycat » Sat May 22, 2021 8:54 am

Old thread but in case there is any interest I clean my AR-7 magazines with WD-40 inserting the straw into the two holes on the side of the magazine and flooding the inside of the magazine with liquid. Then I turn the magazine feed lips down and let the liquid drain out. It is surprising how much crap drains out.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 22, 2021 9:08 am

good to know, thanks or posting this info
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat May 22, 2021 10:16 am

Probably could give it a blast with gun scrubber first and then the WD-40 for lube and rust preventive. Good idea, thanks for sharing.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sat May 22, 2021 3:32 pm

An aerosol with a straw would probably work as long as it doesn't leave a heavy film to attract dirt. Gun Scrubber evaporates so would likely work well.

To open the magazine up you have to bend a metal tab on the bottom down 90 degrees. I would assume that it would break eventually if you did this repeatatively. I have opened up on magazine that wasn't working properly and sanded the follower.
1 x