Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

U.S. Survival Rifle (AR-7) Stock Disassembly

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
armycat
Wrangler
Canada

U.S. Survival Rifle (AR-7) Stock Disassembly

Post by armycat » Fri May 07, 2021 4:21 pm

Has anyone ever take apart the stock from a U.S Survival Rifle? I want to fill the voids in the stock with spray foam but haven’t found a way to prevent the foam from filling where the barrel and receiver are stored. I was thinking the easiest way would be to take the stock apart, block off the holes in the orange part of the stock, reassemble and then fill with foam.

Any ideas?
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: U.S. Survival Rifle (AR-7) Stock Disassembly

Post by JEBar » Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 pm

interesting concept ... sorry, I can't offer any suggestions and I sure hope someone can
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri May 07, 2021 5:41 pm

I like your thinking. I’ve never had the AR7. Always wanted one. Good luck with your project.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:42 am

armycat wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:21 pm
Has anyone ever take apart the stock from a U.S Survival Rifle? I want to fill the voids in the stock with spray foam but haven’t found a way to prevent the foam from filling where the barrel and receiver are stored.
You might want to be careful about which spray foam you select and please do a little research into it. It seems that there are two types, open cell and closed cell. One absorbs and holds water, the other does not. I found this out when I was converting a school bus into a camper a number of years ago. I ditched the foam spray altogether and ended up using 1" thick Styrofoam boards. In my application they were perfect, easy to install and no spray mess and no water problems. I also think they did a better job of insulating because I was able to get much much more in most spaces.

As I think on it ... these boards might work in your situation ... cut the foam into the shapes you need and slide them in the stock ... put some Elmer's glue on to hold them together. But that's just off the top of my head.

I recall that Great Foam, easily found at HomeDepot is one of the problem foams. It seals air leaks very well, unfortunately, it holds water.

I did a bit of a search last evening, but couldn't find something quickly that I thought was safe to recommend. I did notice that Spray Foam offers a number of types ... perhaps one is right for you.

T
1 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 pm

All this said, a while back I considered doing this very project to my early model Henry AR-7 (2 mags, not 3), but then one night it hit me ... if this butt stock is good at keeping water out ... surely the opposite must be true. Had you considered the possibility of using the butt stock as a water HOLDING device, i.e., a canteen, in a Survivin' situation?

I'm fairly certain the stock should hold about 1 quart of water once you've taken all the gun parts out of it. My thinking is, all anyone would have to do is find a place to drill a hole, I imagine 1/4" diameter should do it, near the rim of the insert you are trying to cut out which would allow one to dispense, drink OR drain water from the stock.

I can't see why not ... if your receiver is such that lube is running out and pooling in the stock ... you're doing it wrong. I can't see bugs or dirt getting in there ... and heck, we drink out of many different types of plastic. Of course you would want to practice all safe water protocols, filtering, sanitizing etc.

A bit of cordage (paracord should do) and some inches of duct tape, both items survivin' types carry in abundance, would fashion a usable sling.

All-in-all, I think its a better choice than the condom some talk about. At least you won't have to wonder where it's been last.

Thoughts?
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:23 am

BMCTED wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 pm
All this said, a while back I considered doing this very project to my early model Henry AR-7 (2 mags, not 3), but then one night it hit me ... if this butt stock is good at keeping water out ... surely the opposite must be true. Had you considered the possibility of using the butt stock as a water HOLDING device, i.e., a canteen, in a Survivin' situation?

I'm fairly certain the stock should hold about 1 quart of water once you've taken all the gun parts out of it. My thinking is, all anyone would have to do is find a place to drill a hole, I imagine 1/4" diameter should do it, near the rim of the insert you are trying to cut out which would allow one to dispense, drink OR drain water from the stock.

I can't see why not ... if your receiver is such that lube is running out and pooling in the stock ... you're doing it wrong. I can't see bugs or dirt getting in there ... and heck, we drink out of many different types of plastic. Of course you would want to practice all safe water protocols, filtering, sanitizing etc.

A bit of cordage (paracord should do) and some inches of duct tape, both items survivin' types carry in abundance, would fashion a usable sling.

All-in-all, I think its a better choice than the condom some talk about. At least you won't have to wonder where it's been last.

Thoughts?
Thanks for the information regarding spray foam. This is an interesting concept. If I could seal the stock air tight it would prevent water from entering the stock thus aiding in floating as well as hold water when this was a requirement. Hardest part will be making a water tight seal where the bolt that is used to attach the receiver to the stock runs through the stock.

I haven't touched my AR-7s in a while since I have been unable to get a spare stock to modify.
0 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:24 pm

armycat wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:23 am

Thanks for the information regarding spray foam. This is an interesting concept. If I could seal the stock air tight it would prevent water from entering the stock thus aiding in floating as well as hold water when this was a requirement. Hardest part will be making a water tight seal where the bolt that is used to attach the receiver to the stock runs through the stock.

I haven't touched my AR-7s in a while since I have been unable to get a spare stock to modify.
I've never "float tested" (a US NAVY slang term for throwing something that you know will not float overboard) any of my AR-7's. I didn't know that the attachment bolt wasn't water tight. Well THAT's dumb! So much for my canteen. Before giving up on the idea, perhaps I'll fill it with water and see if it leaks.

BTW ... I own 3 AR-7s, two Charter Arms and one early model (i.e., 2 magazine stock) Henry. I have been trying to get the time to register them on your data base.

Is your difficulty getting a spare stock one of cost/availability or one of being Canadian? Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

I live in Georgia in the US. I just finished up selling a complete yet disassembled 7.62 Parker Hale M-84 Cadet/Sniper rifle, less the receiver, to a gentlemen who lives in Alberta. Even though it was a pile of parts and not a "firearm", the procedure was lengthy and expensive. It had to go to an importer in the US who had the correct license to ship it up to Alberta. It took over 30 days for my buyer to get his rifle.

None the less, if your difficulty is cost and availability, I see in the Henry AR-7 manual that a new one, including cover, costs just $34.95 US plus shipping. The manual does not specify if this is a 2 magazine type or a 3 magazine type. The manual can be downloaded: https://assets.henryusa.com/uploads/20 ... Manual.pdf As I recall, the parts and price list is on the last page.

Parts from Henry are FAR cheaper than anywhere else I've tried.
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:24 am

BMCTED wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:24 pm

Is your difficulty getting a spare stock one of cost/availability or one of being Canadian? Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)
Sorry for the delay in responding, been offline for awhile. The difficulty is being Canadian. Spare parts are not available for many firearms in Canada and none of the sources I have found in the U.S. ship to Canada. Just not enough demand to make it viable for a business.

I have contacted Henry an the won't ship a stock. They do however ship the magazines so that is awesome. Tough to source spare mags in Canada and the prices are staggering.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:12 am

BMCTED wrote:
BTW ... I own 3 AR-7s, two Charter Arms and one early model (i.e., 2 magazine stock) Henry. I have been trying to get the time to register them on your data base.

thanks for being willing to add your Henry rifle(s) to our community's total .... I hope you will author some threads on the differences in brands of your AR7's
0 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 pm

armycat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:24 am
BMCTED wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding, been offline for awhile. The difficulty is being Canadian. Spare parts are not available for many firearms in Canada and none of the sources I have found in the U.S. ship to Canada. Just not enough demand to make it viable for a business.

I have contacted Henry an the won't ship a stock. They do however ship the magazines so that is awesome. Tough to source spare mags in Canada and the prices are staggering.

I heard things were kinda tough up there for some gun stuff. Ain't government swell? We got some of that down here as well.
0 x