Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry U.S. Survival Rifle - New Trigger and Hammer

Discussion about the AR-7 and all of it's versions before and since Henry
armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Henry U.S. Survival Rifle - New Trigger and Hammer

Post by armycat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:38 pm

It appears Henry Repeating Arms has modified the trigger and hammer in their latest production of the U.S. Survival Rifle.

I recently purchased a new rifle. The inspection tag was dated September 2021. Finally got out to the range and the trigger pull was noticeably lighter than my older U.S Survival Rifle. My older rifle was purchased in 2017 and has 5556 rounds through it. The trigger has improved slightly since I purchased it but is still pretty stiff compared to the new rifle.

I tested the trigger pull of both rifles with a Wheeler trigger pull gauge. Each trigger was tested 10 times.

The 2017 rifle is marked Bayonne New Jersey, Model H002B. The heaviest trigger pull was 5 lb 10.5 oz and the lightest trigger pull was 4 lb 4.5 oz. The average was 5 lb 1.8 oz.

The 2021 rifle is marked Rice Lake WI, Model H002B. The heaviest trigger pull was 3 lb 8 oz and the lightest trigger pull was 3 lb 0.7 oz. The average was 3 lb 3.9 oz.

Inspection of the firing mechanism revealed that the hammer and trigger have been modified. The angle where trigger engages the hammer has been changed and now angles slightly rearward. The hammer has been modified and has been recessed slightly on both sides of the hammer face. Hopefully these modifications are clear enough in the photo.

The 2017 Rifle Hammer and Trigger are on the left. The 2021 Rifle on the right.
Attachments
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
4 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Re: Henry U.S. Survival Rifle - New Trigger and Hammer

Post by armycat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:32 am

I contacted Henry Repeating Arms and asked when the trigger and hammer were changed and if all rifles manufactured at Rice Lake WI have the new trigger and hammer.

The response I received was that the U.S. Survival rifle was upgraded in 2011.

I believe the 2011 date refers to when the rifle was upgraded from Model H002 which was closer to the original Armalite design with storage for one magazine in the butt stock to Models H002B, H002C, H002VWP, etc which have the orange stock insert which has storage for two magazines as well as the ability to store a magazine in the receiver as well as many other upgrades.

To me it does not make sense that the trigger and hammer were upgraded in 2011 as my older rifle which does not have the upgraded trigger and hammer was purchased in 2017 and the box has a safety inspection label on it dated 2016.
1 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm

armycat wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:32 am

I believe the 2011 date refers to when the rifle was upgraded from Model H002 which was closer to the original Armalite design with storage for one magazine in the butt stock to Models H002B, H002C, H002VWP, etc which have the orange stock insert which has storage for two magazines as well as the ability to store a magazine in the receiver as well as many other upgrades.
WOW!

This is the first I have heard of these HRA model numbers. Where did you find this data? This is VERY interesting.

Do you know how these model numbers (H002, H002B, H002C, H002VWP) relate to where the rifles were built (Brooklyn, NY; Bayonne, NJ; Rice Lake, WI) or what we used to call Generation 1 through 4?

For example:

does H002 = Gen 1 = Brooklyn, NY ?
does H002B = Gen 2 = Bayonne, NJ ?
does H002C = Gen 3 = Rice Lake WI ?
does H002VWP = Gen 4 = Rice Lake WI ?

Also, do you know what "VMP" means?

I may be wrong, but after reviewing the data that (largely) you collected in another place at another time, it seems that every time HRA relocated, they made significant ("model" or Generational?) changes to the AR-7.

BTW: On a completely unrelated matter, since the time we were collecting data for a "differences" or parts interchangeability thread, I have found that we overlooked another builder of AR-7 rifles ... In 1998, AR-7 Industries began production of AR-7s in Meriden, CT. In 2004, AR-7 industries was bought by Armalite.

I don't know when AR-7 industries stopped building AR-7 rifles, but I do know that AR-7.Com is selling AR-7 parts and ships them from the Meriden, CT address.

AR-7 Industries was selling AR-7's as "the original" and "the only", even though HRA was building pretty much the same rifle at the time.

I found this information looking for something else AR-7 related on a gun auction site. Since that time I seem to see them almost everywhere on the internet.

Good to see you keeping up with the old girl. Did you ever get your new one to float?
0 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:59 pm

I did a search. The HRA model numbers are relative to finish on current Henry AR-7s.
B = Black
C = Camo
VWP = Viper Western.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 pm

What da hell is viper western??

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:25 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 pm
What da hell is viper western??

RP
Click the link: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Its the rifle on the bottom of the page.
1 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:35 pm

BMCTED wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:59 pm
I did a search. The HRA model numbers are relative to finish on current Henry AR-7s.
B = Black
C = Camo
VWP = Viper Western.
So as you have already determined the different model numbers refer only to the rifles colour and does not correlate to where or when it was made. I have contacted Henry to try to confirm when certain upgrades occurred but never received any useable information other than the 2011 redesign.

As far as I can tell the upgraded trigger and hammer is only on Rice Lake rifles. Now there is apparently an upgraded barrel but I have only seen on YouTube video where it was received as a warranty replacement so I don't even know if it comes standard with the rifle or only as a replacement part.

I am aware of AR-7.com but did not realize they are at the Meridan, CT address. Interesting. I will add the 1998 start date and 2004 end date to my records.
0 x