Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just starting to consider getting one

A modern classic
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Just starting to consider getting one

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 am

At this point I simply don't have enough knowledge about it to even seriously consider it. If it's that good I wouldn't mind hearing more about.
Well, something like the 'original' Navy replica Henry wouldn't be for everyone as there is little known about them due to their scarcity and probably few to no parts available. The owner will have to be familiar with out of production guns and will need to have some gunsmithing skills. I suspect being made in the time frame they were and by a well known 'name' they are probably not bad but it would still be a crapshoot.
I own several older guns but they are not particularly rare so parts are not unobtainable.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Mags wrote:
dddrees wrote:... was hoping to hear a bit more from people here about some of the details first.
sorry I don't have anything to offer to aid your search. However, I do love hearing about your journey to get there. From the other contributors its got me looking at their suggestions and reading about the various rifles. One thing that caught my eye on the New Henry Original. The description of the brass models state that the brass alloy used is as strong as steel. I thought that impressive.
I’ve conducted a number of searches via google and there are numerous comparisons between the Winchester Miroku 1873 and Uberti 1873. These of course aren’t the Henry but I imagine these would be a good representation of how these two gunmakers go about producing their guns in general. Problem is I haven’t really come across much with regards to the New Original Henry and how it compares to the others with exception of the video posted in this thread and a few YouTube videos. Hickock45 videos are in general entertaining but generally provide little when it comes to the finer details with regards to materials actually being used for instance.

The brass alloy sounds Ok to me, but the use of MIM parts are somehow off putting to me as well as their bluing. The caliber would be a inconvenience of sort since I have no intention to use it for anything specific than target practice and the cost would be a bit prohibited. A few times a year would be Ok given how many other guns I have, it just would be inconvenient. However if I were convinced or it appealed to me in such a manner that I thought it special enough then I would have little problem choosing it. I’m starting to revisit the Winchester 1866 2018 Shot Show version. It’s supposed to have a Walnut IV or V grade stock and it’s in 38 special which I already shoot in a few revolvers I own. The pictures of their stock posted on their website don’t look as good as the Henry but the stock isn’t everything just something I would really like as one of those things I want.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Mistered wrote:
At this point I simply don't have enough knowledge about it to even seriously consider it. If it's that good I wouldn't mind hearing more about.
Well, something like the 'original' Navy replica Henry wouldn't be for everyone as there is little known about them due to their scarcity and probably few to no parts available. The owner will have to be familiar with out of production guns and will need to have some gunsmithing skills. I suspect being made in the time frame they were and by a well known 'name' they are probably not bad but it would still be a crapshoot.
I own several older guns but they are not particularly rare so parts are not unobtainable.
At this point I own only two older guns but both are 22s and from my understanding parts are still available.

But given your description and the fact I’m mechanically inept then this isn’t the gun for me. Thanks for clearing that up.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:38 pm

RanchRoper wrote:50 yds. Open sights. My 1860 paper shredder. No question about Uberti performance. :)
From my understanding there was little doubt that the Ubertis were anything be great functioning rifles. My issues however would be with buggered screws and that red stock, somehow neither of these appeal to me.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Buy this rifle and I'll sell you my Henry .44 Rimfire cartridge, problem is you only get 1 shot at the range so make it count.... :lol:

https://merzantiques.com/product/w761-h ... ion-rifle/
20180422_132819_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:50 pm

But given your description and the fact I’m mechanically inept then this isn’t the gun for me. Thanks for clearing that up.
Yea the Navy would probably be a great gun - but as a collector's item/curiosity for a poor gun collector (but pretty good 'novice' gunsmith') like me!
While rare they don't seem to be commanding outrageous prices and like I said if I were close to the seller (and could physically look/handle it) I would most likely take it - for no other reasons than the interest in levers I have and that of the discussions of others on this forum about them. (I am quirky in this manner with guns!)
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 pm

I like tracking these kinds of posts, too, because what ends up being uncovered are all the trade-offs and what comes to the surface is what's really important to the buyer. Been there, done that, as have probably the rest of you. Caliber vs. receiver finish vs. wood vs. MIM vs. customer support vs. parts/service vs. ammo availability/pricing. And, now it looks like there are 3-4 rifles in the mix.
This kind of thing leads me to lots of "sleep on it" before deciding. It's when you wake up and are still torn between This and That . . .THEN it gets crazy!
Good luck and keep us posted. As you can tell, I'm absolutely no help in your decision. Just a supportive peanut gallery!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:05 pm

You can do a nice 360 view of the Uberti here; all this talk about the 1860's makes me want to put an iron frame one on the Xmas list....maybe 44.40 this time around :)

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1860- ... arrel.html
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:09 pm

ESquared wrote:I like tracking these kinds of posts, too, because what ends up being uncovered are all the trade-offs and what comes to the surface is what's really important to the buyer. Been there, done that, as have probably the rest of you. Caliber vs. receiver finish vs. wood vs. MIM vs. customer support vs. parts/service vs. ammo availability/pricing. And, now it looks like there are 3-4 rifles in the mix.
This kind of thing leads me to lots of "sleep on it" before deciding. It's when you wake up and are still torn between This and That . . .THEN it gets crazy!
Good luck and keep us posted. As you can tell, I'm absolutely no help in your decision. Just a supportive peanut gallery!
There have been times when to many trade offs end up being something that’s just not worth it to begin with. If that’s the case then that’s fine as well. I just like knowing what those details are before hand.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:10 pm

RanchRoper wrote:You can do a nice 360 view of the Uberti here; all this talk about the 1860's makes me want to put an iron frame one on the Xmas list....maybe 44.40 this time around :)

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1860- ... arrel.html
Thank you
0 x